why does file search need to connect to net?

• Thread starter Sacramanther
  • Start date
S

Sacramanther

can someone please tell me why windows xp tries to connect to the internet when i try to run a simple file search? when i dont allow it to connect, it gives the error "a file that is required to run search companion cannot be found. you may need to run setup". i dont want to have to connect just to search for a file on my drive. sorry if this has been brought up before, but im still quite new here.

oh i also have a problem where games using directx run really slow (but still at a high frame rate). its like in the matrix where things happen really slowly, but smoothly. any help would be greatly appreaciated

Now I dont know thw answer to this but I do know a man who does ! I'll email him and get him to answer :D

There is a simple way to get around this problem tho....

Install Windows Commander.... it's shareware but it's got a filesearch without the internet..

get it here
WINDOWS COMMANDER

cool thanks for that bheagle! ill give windows commander a try. but i think i fixed the file search problem. i did a restore windows installation (u get the option when you try to install xp again).

directx games still run slow though. they actually run okay RIGHT AFTER installing the detonator drivers. but when i restart my computer, directx games run slow again. ive been installing the detonator drivers every time i want to play a directx game such as max payne. its a bit of a hassle but it seems to work

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back