why does file search need to connect to net?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sacramanther, May 7, 2002.

1. Sacramanther

Sacramanther Guest

can someone please tell me why windows xp tries to connect to the internet when i try to run a simple file search? when i dont allow it to connect, it gives the error "a file that is required to run search companion cannot be found. you may need to run setup". i dont want to have to connect just to search for a file on my drive. sorry if this has been brought up before, but im still quite new here.

oh i also have a problem where games using directx run really slow (but still at a high frame rate). its like in the matrix where things happen really slowly, but smoothly. any help would be greatly appreaciated
  2. Sacramanther

Sacramanther Guest

guess no one knows
  3. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Now I dont know thw answer to this but I do know a man who does ! I'll email him and get him to answer :D
  4. bheagle

bheagle Guest

There is a simple way to get around this problem tho....

Install Windows Commander.... it's shareware but it's got a filesearch without the internet..

get it here
  5. Sacramanther

Sacramanther Guest

cool thanks for that bheagle! ill give windows commander a try. but i think i fixed the file search problem. i did a restore windows installation (u get the option when you try to install xp again).

directx games still run slow though. they actually run okay RIGHT AFTER installing the detonator drivers. but when i restart my computer, directx games run slow again. ive been installing the detonator drivers every time i want to play a directx game such as max payne. its a bit of a hassle but it seems to work