Why do computers slow down as they get older?

Most people will never notice on things like networking and other operations, excepth where a drive has a CRC error and winders starts forcing a slowdown of access to and from the drive-s.

In general it is just a more demanding program. Half life two was good on my 9600XT, but it would barely run some segments of GTA:SA, my computer wasn't slowing it was the game.

iceman7311 said:
about the defragging y do u recomend other programs over the windows one
in other word what do they do better?

PerfectDisk

Defrag- Perfect disk works great but I don't think it defrags automatically as needed while you work on other projects, like Diskeeper does. The problem I've encountered with Diskeeper's "set it and forget" option is it likes to defrag at the worst times, like when I'm burning software.! Ouch.
Antivirus- Avast and AVG are really good. I use Avast home.
Antispyware-Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and I also use XoftSpy. Just be careful what you remove as they sometimes can be overly sensitive and pickup components that help some of your programs run.
Symantec- Got rid of their anti-virus several years ago. System hog as we all know from experience and trying to uninstall their junk ranks right up their with AOL. :) I do use Norton Systemworks 2005 for their "one button checkup" program.

I haven't really read over this thread, but I remember seeing the title. While reading something else this morning, I thought you guys might be interested in this....

With Vista, the new client version of Windows due next year, Microsoft is addressing what's become a sad truth for most people: PCs run more slowly over time.
Vista will automatically de-fragment hard disks, make better use of memory to more quickly load programs, and include a new performance control panel that will identify performance bottlenecks, according to the company.

Full article

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back