WHQL 40.72 / Geforce 2 MX Problem

L

Luna64

Here is how things seem to be working out for me.

The 28.32 drivers are beyond bad. The only way I can use them is if I turn off hardware acceleration.

The same goes for 30.82, but they seem to be a little more crash prone :-/

Then today I installed the 40.72 WHQL drivers and they seemed to work fine untill the my screen decided to go black for about a second. This seems to happen every time I try to run something. If I let the computer sit there, it's fine. But the more I move the mouse, and the more I click things, the more often the screen goes black, and then back to normal a few seconds later.

Funny thing is the beta drivers did the same thing.

At the moment I am using the Microsoft default drivers which work with no conflicts, but I bet they are also pretty slow.

Any ideas on how to fix this driver bug ? I still cant afford a new 3d card yet :-/, though I am looking to buy one here pretty soon.

i have a gforce 2 mx 200, the best drivers for me is 23.11

they are fast and stable, never had any problems

I also have the same problem but with Geforce 4 Ti6000. In the event viewer->system i get a fault for source nv and the properties says: GR SW Method Error C0C0D.

This never happened with the 30.82 driver I used before uppdating to 40.72.

Sometimes it just doesn't go black, but the computer reboots instead.

/Miek

[i had problem with this 40.72 too. After i had installed it yesterday, my pc had hang several times everytimes i open some folder. before this(30.82) i had no problem at all......
i test this 40.72(3dmark2001se) and the marks increased by 400~500. thats is marvelous but if only it dont cause any prob to my pc....

if it keep like this, i will change it back to 30.82....
Anyone had this prob using 40.72??]

shxt... it hang again... this time when i'm surfing, it automatically closed all window and then locked up..... GOODBYE 40.72, WELCOME BACK 30.82 :D

nothing but troubles for me I install fine but cant get the refresh rate fixed the screen goes black and just hangs there forever with the 40.72, dont know why that is but it is......so I am using the drivers that came with my card going to wait for next batch

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8193
Date: 11/11/2002
Time: 3:16:08 AM
User: N/A
Computer: WHAT-HPJIBZ4T4J
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43 WRTWRTIC
0008: 32 31 31 33 00 00 00 00 2113....
0010: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43 WRTWRTIC
0018: 32 30 37 38 00 00 00 00 2078....

Ok after all the messing around this is what I get if I try and change my refresh rate with the 40.72's over all the games seem to look better and play ok .... just stuck at the 60mhz and I have tried everything I can think of, reforce, riva tuner, the overide tab in the new drivers, if I change the refresh rate sceen goes black and stays there and if I reboot it wont load , I have to boot hit f8 and enable vga mode .... and start over uninstall the drivers and clean out the reg...... really has got me stumped

The 30's and 40's are optimized (yea sure) for the GeForce 4's.

This unified crap from NVIDIA is just that. I have a GeForce2 GTS and also find the 23.11 to work fine. I also know some people who swear by XP's native drivers for the GeForce 4.

If the native drivers look good try this program to test out your framerates with the various drivers.
http://www.fraps.com/

I HATE NVIDIA. I have had problems with the 30.78 and 40.72 with my GeForce 2. I had better performance with the generic Windows drivers. Does anyone have a link to older drivers that actually work for older cards?

myself and my girlfriend both have gf2mx cards... mine being a hercules and hers being a creative. both are using the latest dets (apparantly WHQL but it still asks me if i want to continue anyway during install lol).

her games seem to run a little smoother and quicker and mine seem the same over other drivers...

i think its kinda down to the rest of the hardware in the system... or perhaps to how its tweaked...

i have a ti4200 and the 40.72's, but im having no problems with them nor did i when installing them. they increased my 3d marks by almost a grand too. :D

I have had the exact same probs with 40.72, iv deleted them and gone back to older drivers which now seems to have stabilised the pc, i have a geforce4 mx420 , the only error now is - event 36 - source w32 time, any one any ideas on this, there are some older drivers on the nvidia website, got my new games coming for xmas, hope the drivers cope.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Compaq
System Model Presario 6254EA
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1795 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Compaq 686Y4 v3.03, 21/09/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Total Physical Memory 256.50 MB

hold the presses

OK !!!!!!! finally the new 4109's are working for me after all the headaches I was having with any driver except the one's that came with my geforce 4 mx420 asus board the new ones are great no problems at all everything works for me now

Thank Santa Claus for the new drivers lol :D

This might be a silly question but, do you get to use digital vibrance with the GeForce 2 cards?

yeah, im pretty sure you can... i can change digital vibrance on my hercules 2mx.

btw, im running 41.09 dets now and fps has increased by about 5-10 in Q3 :)

You shouldnt be using the 40.xx breed of drivers on a GF 2MX in the first place. They are NOT optimised for your card my friend. Stick with ones that are, such as the 23.11 as someone else suggested. Just because nVidia release new drivers doesnt mean they will improve the performance on an older card.

Sheeesh

Wanna bet? Work well for me.

The digital Vibrance works on GF2's.

Originally posted by TechSupport
btw, im running 41.09 dets now and fps has increased by about 5-10 in Q3 :)

Originally posted by Teddy
You shouldnt be using the 40.xx breed of drivers on a GF 2MX in the first place. They are NOT optimised for your card my friend. Stick with ones that are, such as the 23.11 as someone else suggested. Just because nVidia release new drivers doesnt mean they will improve the performance on an older card.

Sheeesh

I use a gf2mx card - and I get a 5-10fps increase

not optimised for my card?? rofl... if I get 5-10fps increase on drivers which ARENT optimised, then how come with the 23.11 drivers, I get something like 20fps less?

I get no lockups, no garbled graphics, no errors or anything with the 41.09 drivers...

anyway Teddy... where do u get that from anyway?? that they're not optimised for a 2mx?? Has that strange alien thing in your avatar been whispering sweet nothings in your ear again? :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back