who is using my router?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by rkslperez, Aug 1, 2006.

1. rkslperez

rkslperez OSNN One Post Wonder

Is there a way to see if a nieghbor has tapped into my router to use for their internet use?

2. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

that would be me....

.....if i were your neighbour :)

yes go into the routers config page and i think usually on the first page you should see what mac addresses are connected. if you only have one pc attached but it shows two macs then someone else if connected, just block that mac address. it would also help to know what router you have.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Good tip, but rather than block a specific MAC address, you should do MAC address filtering which will only allow MAC's that you specify.

Less of a headache there IMO.

lancer likes this.
  4. lancer

yeah i guess kc's idea is better, that you you never have to look again.

5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

can the router log ip's that have had access?

6. kcnychief

From my experience that depends on the router.

Most practical and cross-platform friendly would be MAC address logging, but that only shows active list. I have seen a few Linksys models that keep a log, but I think the logging is off or on a very low expire level by default.

I would also assume if the suspicion is there that someone is connected, your router is un-encrypted.

If that's the case, I suggest tightening your encryption to the highest level your router and wifi devices will support.

7. Perris Calderon

I have no problem with people using my internet ( I do have infinity bandwidth if you remember)

I just want to know how many people are doing it

8. kcnychief

You should have a problem.

You realize if someone is on your internet, they are getting one of the IP addresses that you are responsible for.

If Joe Smith drives near your house, gets on your internet, performs a DoS attack on FBI.gov - your a$$ would be held accountable.

Alternatively, they can sniff packets on your network and try to get encrypted data while it's on the way in/out which could contain sensitive information such as financial and the like.

9. rkslperez

WOW... how great.. thanks for the numorous replies...

I will dive into the config page and see whats up :)

Kelly

10. kcnychief

Feel free to post any screenshots if you need help or have further questions regarding your specific configuration.

Or, you can also post the model number of your router as well :)

11. lancer

kelly you don't live in sarasota by any chance do you? :)

12. rkslperez

sure dont.. I live in Fort Bragg, NC :)

13. technokid88

technokid88 Part of a System Folding Team

Why not just set up a wep key for the connection so no one else can connect unless they hack it.

14. kcnychief

WEP = Poor Encryption

WPA or WPA2 is strongly recommended if the hardware supports it.

15. Perris Calderon

a corporate myth

I can't be held responsible for someone taking my signal undless I couldn't prove it wasn't my computer that did what was done, which I could always prove

if what you were saying were true, the public hot spots would have a liability which they don't

just as I can't be held accountable if someone takes water

the internet is free

as far as sensitive data, I don't transfer sensitive data over the internet

16. technokid88

technokid88 Part of a System Folding Team

OH yeah thats true, but its better then nothing lol
    This is about the WEP key post

17. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

incorrect. If you leave the keys in your car or a loaded gun on the front porch and someone uses them to kill another person you will be tried for murder. The legal term is "contributory negligence". The legal precedents do exist. It also applies to products and companies. Do not beleive? Ask the tobacco industry why it is paying hundreds of billions in fines, penalties etc. in spite of a warning on the side of the package.

You never shop over the internet and use a crdit card? You never bank or use a stock account? No site you access ever requires a SS number as a user ID? You don't pay bills online or renew your car registration?

Think that if indited you will never be convicted. You are convicted by the very indictment process. It will cost you 10's of thousands to beat the charge (if you can). There will be records spread all over the web, newspapers and governemnt saying you were indicted. Some of the records can be expunged (at additional cost to you) but not all. These records can be used to deny you employment or to terminate your employment. You can agfain get the action reversed at large expense to yourself.

It happened to my brother. Took 5 years to get everything dropped and $30k. There is no compensation for false criminal accusation by the police, DA, governemnt agencies, etc and only recourse is civil suit against individuals which will cost another $30-50k to prosecute and can yield no money even if you win. Ant attempt to recover losses requires proving "malice" on the part of your accuser. Very difficult to do (see the movie).

Keep your doors locked, your tool shed locked, your guns with trigger locks and your internet encrypted with the best WPA, hidden ID and anything else you can find.

18. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

My network uses WPA2 Encryption, hidden SSID, as well as MAC address filtering (allowing only certain MAC addresses). I feel that I am fairly safe.

19. Perris Calderon

I'm not incorrect, the INTERNET is free, your car or a license to drive is not free, it's not illegal to provide free INTERNET, it's done all the time all over the country, it's done in coffee shops, it's done in municipalities

water is free too

the legal precedents don't exist, a prosecution would be novel and it would fail

tobacco companies lied to their customers, that's why they are liable, that's the only reason they were liable

that's what I said

good point

it would get tossed in a summery judgment IF a prosecutor actually tried to take you to trial... I could make the application myself if he did try

good point

providing free INTERNET did not cause your brother a prosecution, something else did, it's legal to provide free INTERNET, it's done all over the country both privately and publicly

all true but the INTERNET part, if you want to give it away you are welcome to do it

20. kcnychief

I do apologize for starting it, but we should probably refrain from turning this into a Political discussion.

Perhaps create a thread in the appropriate section?