who is better

we buy all our equipment direct from the manufacturer... so as it is, we bought them from Maxtor..... I'm sure your maxtor works good for you, but we have found them to be crappy devices for the useage we have to put them through.... perhaps you do not over use yours like we do.....

Glad someone can use them, but till they develop drives that can handle the busy access we have, we'll stick with WD.

The worst thing about threads like this is that everyone has had a bad experience with one company. Most people then swear them off. I have found that the technology changes so frequently that it's often a good idea to review your opinion often. I used to HATE WD, from back in the days when I built PCs up in Buffalo. I swear, for every 5 that I got, 2 were bad! IBM became my favorite at that time. Maxtor was a close second. At this point, with IBM switching to Hitachi I have been unable to test any of thier new products so I can not form an opinion on them. Seagate used to be one of my least favorites as well. Now, today I would probably buy WD or Maxtor without much thought. The one thing is that most Maxtors have just a slightly better seek time than the WDs, but either is fine. I would probably give Seagate another chance if I really had the need for another drive. Balance cost with performance and you should be alright. Don't go too cheap though.

i havent had a Maxtor hard drive so i couldnt really swear by them :D :p.. Just that the 2 WD Hard Drives on my computer have been fine and dandy with me with no problems at all *touch wood again* :happy:

I wouldnt mind trying out Maxtor though with my next hard drive update once ive ran out of space with these 3 which shouldnt be too long now :p

I can only really give an opinion about Western Digital and that is that my Hard Drives have been running smoothly ever since i got them and they are at a fair price for a large amount of file space.. does me just fine :D

But if Maxtor and WD are roughly the same price.. then i dont think it should really matter with my opinion except reliability? :huh:

Hope this helps at all :p

Sincerly Alex :cool:

<rant>
Well lets face it, all hdd:s suck. They are slow, noicy and break all the time. Let's all go buy flash disks instead to drive the prices down!
</rant>

Which means just take a pick. It doesn't matter which one you choose. ;)

Aww come on! Isn't anyone going to recommend a Fuji HD??

ROFLMFAO!

PS Western Digital here for the past 12 years. Never had one fail.

Originally posted by LeeJend
PS Western Digital here for the past 12 years. Never had one fail.

Sounds like another Western Digital Happy Customer :happy:

Well I have a Maxtor now (see my sig below) , its been working 100% fine, my previous drive was a D740X, again, ran perfect.

I havnt tried WD, but from what Ive read they are good, although not as fast or reliable as the new Diamond Plus 9s. Havnt seen many ATA133 versions either of the WD.

If I had to recommend Id say Maxtor or WD. :)

I have used both Seagate and Maxtor for a while now... and I like them both! Haven't touched a WD yet. :)
And btw, aren't Seagate and Maxtor drives generally cheaper than WD drives?

so to round everything off :)

Basiclly, you can choose any hard drive you wish.. be it

Western Digital
Maxtor
Seagate
etc.
etc.

Its really pot luck if you get a drive that either works 100% or doesnt work at all.. so you cant really rely on peoples thoughts after reading all these posts on this thread. The reason being.. is because some say a company is unreliable and some people say the same company is reliable

Take a gamble.. you have to be a daredevil at some stage of your life :D

:happy:

I would proabaly go with Western Digital for my most prefered. I had a maxtor drive that crapped out on me quite fast, I don't think these drives like to move around much. From what I have read I recal seagate specializing in their drives being very quiet, but I don't have any Seagate drives so I can't really give you my opinion on them.

The drive I love the most is my 5 year old Quantum FIREBALL 7200 rpm 10gb, it is still alive and kicking. Doesn't get very hot either. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back