Who Has The Best Broadband Service In the UK?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by TheBlueRaja, Apr 10, 2003.

1. TheBlueRaja

TheBlueRaja BR to Some

Hey Peeps,
    Im looking for a new Broadband provider in the UK, However i wanted to know which provider you use and what you think of them? So - Can you Do this...

E.g.

Name:- NTL
    Speed:- 600K
    Maximum D/l Speed (Average) :- 65k
    Reliability Rating (Out Of 10):- 8
    Overall Rating (Out Of 10):- 5 (Due to Cap)
    Cost Per Month :- 24.99
    Comment:- (Not Necessary)

I was with NTL, but since they introduced their "Cap" of 1Gb per day I have canned the service and went back to Dial-Up until i find a good provider. (Now having the shakes cause i cant play UT2003 online).

Im really after what the fastest average download speed that you get is from your link is. This is the speed you get AFTER about 5 to 10 seconds on large files when your downloading. The first 5 - 10 secs vary wildly due to burst rates. (Ive seen 200 - 300k on NTL for a couple of seconds before it settles).

Thanks Guys...

P.s I will have a BT line..

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Do you really download over 1gb? every single day of the week?
    People really overreacted to this NTL cap.

Anyway, I'm not on DSL myself yet (exchange to be enabled June 4th) but i will be going with Nildram when I do, as they supposedly have the best overall speeds according to adslguide.

3. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Glad I don't live in the UK... I have a nice 3.0Mbps download and a 384Kbps upload. www.covad.com :)

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

Nildram is the best broadband ISP in the UK, they top the charts if you compare them against the rest. Nildram is the network www.jolt.co.uk use for there broadband package, best ping of em all for gaming. i rent a server fron jolt, no 1 complains :)

5. SPeedY_B

Yeah, the UK is technologically retarded :p
    We can get 2.0mb / 256k lines, but they're around the £140/month+ mark :huh:

6. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

thats a coincidence

My exchange is being enabled on the same day

BT are going to busy that day

its about time

:cool:

7. SPeedY_B

Good going :D
    How many people did you need to register in your area?
    We needed 300 at first, but it got dropped to 250 about a month ago, then after one of the people in the village started giving flyers etc to people we got around 60+ registrants per 24 hours :D

8. TheBlueRaja

TheBlueRaja BR to Some

No I don't, not everyday - but i did sometimes. And since they imposed the cap I felt resrticted in my surfing/downloading - and when I signed up, I signed up for an UNMETERED/UNLIMITED service. So screw them - I cancelled.

Besides, i can get it cheaper elsewhere so thats where im going.

Nildram Eh, I havent heard of them before, everyone i know uses PlusNet so i will check them out.

How much a month tho?

9. SPeedY_B

£22.99 / month, I'd never heard of them until a friend moved to a DSL enabled area and signed up with them, he's been there for quite some time now and not had a single problem, connected 24/7 and no restrictions on p2p apps etc.
    more info

Plusnet are only £19.99 a month, but they have P2P restrictions, and the un-restricted package is £22.99 .. so they're effectively the same price, unless you 100% do not ever want to use p2p :)

10. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Well... my service isn't cheap. I pay $80(USD) a month for it. It's the fastest service I could find in my area for the price.

11. SPeedY_B

Thats still faster and cheaper than in the UK :huh: , as I say, the 2.0mb is the fastest available to us at the moment. plus the fact that there's still a vast amount of people here that cant even get a 512k line.
    btw £140 = ~$225

12. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

thats a belting idea :D

in our area they wanted 400 names
    I did a two pronged attack to tackle the problem

1. ask everybody I knew in the area who's got a PC to sign-up & for them to ask their friends to sign up even if they didn't really want it

2. every time I signed on for about a month - I pulled a random phone number out of the phone book & give em that :eek:

I had to stop though when a BT operator told me that they ring em all up to verify their interest. :doh:

don't think it matters now though
    apparently they want our town on B/B to help the manchester bid for the olympics

have you decided which isp your going to go with ????

I cant make my mind up > plus the initial cost of setting it up is a bit steep > so its going to have to wait till I'm a bit more flush :(

:cool:

13. SPeedY_B

Yeah, those flyers worked a treat, we were pulling like 5 people registering a month, then i checked on night and there was like 62 registered in a day then a further 20-ish the following day :D

I'm gonna go with Nildram, as they're said to be the fastest and my mate who lives in the town just north of us has had them for a while with no hiccups at all.
    The initial cost is a bit of a wench isnt it. Gonna be around £40 to £60 to "activate" your line, depending who you go with. then the modem (I'm going for an internal PCI modem, £34.99 - link) can cost from £40 to god knows how much.

Still, if we've got til june, I have a bit of money at the moment, so i think im going to grab a modem before that cash goes a wondering :p then settle the rest of the costs nearer to the time :)

14. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

that modems a much better price :)
    cool

yeah I'm sold on Nildram as well > like the idea of having the best ping for gaming :)

think I'll go for £29.99 package with 100 meg web space

mmmmmmm

wait a minute

whats this ????????

Contention Ratio 50:1

doesn't that mean that 50 computers connect to one port ????
    excuse my ignorance > not much exprerience when it comes to B/B

so the more people use the service the smaller the bandwidth gets > is that right ???

:huh:

15. SPeedY_B

heh, im ok for webspace (already got 8 sites :p), the connection ratio, to my knowledge thats the MAX amount of people that can be sharing an 8mb port at any given time ... I'm not 100% sure on that though...
    Looks like some research is needed. What i do know is that most ISPs actually offer the same ratios.

16. SPeedY_B

17. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

got it

ah the power of google :D

yeah looks like the 20:1 are more for business & cost a bit more

Nildram dont tie you down to a 12 month contract

thats a big plus

:happy:

edit

especially if you get caught in this nightmare scenario

:eek:

18. SPeedY_B

Well, they do on the package that I'm going to subscribe to :p
    Not to worry, I don't mind a contract if its a good service :)

19. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

Pipex are Nildram as well ;)

Skazz

20. surge

surge OSNN Senior Addict

pipex are cool .
    but sadld the phone lines @ my new flat didnt pass the woosh test.
    so i went with cable insted , lucky me iam on TW's 2mb trial :D:D:D