Whining sound with tv card

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sto110, Oct 13, 2004.

1. sto110

sto110 OSNN Junior Addict

I just rebuilt my system and decided to put in my ati tv card.

There is a very annoying whining sound that i cannot figure out how to get rid of.
    Connected to my Hercules fortissmo III via the line in jack.
    Mic is muted and everything else that i can think of is too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I have heard of this before - not on this forum though, think it was an ATI one or somewhere in connection with my Winfast card....

Anyway, solution should be to do with shielding I think and where your cables run or, just possibly, card placement. So check all your cables are neat and tidy and away from power line - visually inspect card to check shielding is in place and OK, if that all fails try moving to "furthest away" PCI slot and see if that helps.

3. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

open control panel, then the sounds/audio properties sheet. choose the audio tab, then click the "volume" button on the microphone. this will open up the mic properties sheet, click advanced + then click/unclick the mic boost boxes ;)

used to happen on my main pc, only was to stop it was to tick/untick the boxes :D

4. sto110

sto110 OSNN Junior Addict

Thanks i tried that last night and was able to shut it off. I think it is actually some sort of conflict with my hercules (sound card) software. When i unclick line in box the sound is echoed (as if there are 2 of them) so after playing around (clicking unclicking i got it to stop)

Thansk!