Which version of Vista to get?

4) UAC, to quote Hencry Spencer "Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."

5) AutoCAD does not offer a version that is compatible with Vista and wont offer a service pack to fix it, that means your $4,000 software will not work until 2008 is released and you have to pay for an upgrade. That is a personal problem since I use AutoCAD daily.

4) Can you imagine Windows with a Unix base like OS X?
5) Similar to the OS X PPC -> Intel changeover and Adobe Photoshop CS2. CS2 would pretty much not run on an Intel chip though the demo would for some bizarre reason and that forced a lot of designers to stick with PPC based machines. All I am saying is that its not technically Microsofts fault that AutoCAD won't run and its pretty crap that AutoDesk are essentially holding their customers hostage if they want to migrate to Vista. If there is a serious contender to AutoCAD which does run on Vista then AutoDesk could see reduced revenues when their 2008 release comes around.

I am starting to think that Vista Premium and Basic are comparable to XP Home while Vista Ultimate (maybe Business too) is comparable to XP Pro. In XP Pro you had two options for dealing with policies and users which are in Vista Ultimate but I have found they are not included in Vista Premium or Basic (have not tested Business yet). First one is secpol.msc which you can use to adjust security policies including UAC and the other is Advanced User Management which you can get to through run > control userpasswords2 then click on the advanced tab. Neither one of these are available in the lower versions of Vista. I will try Business next but I assume that since it is for Business that these two options are included. Something to think about before you purchase Vista should you want control of these options.

Maybe there is a registry hack to enable them in basic and Premium?

Avoid Vista Basic basically.
Business is comparable to XP Professional

Basic and Ultimate are pretty much two new SKUs and are at very different ends of the spectrum.

You can easily disable UAC via the users control in the control panel, so I imagine it is there in basic.

Fairly simple really:

vista.jpg

That is awesome. I am going to show that to a few of my clients.

I apologize for pointing out the giant shortcomings of Vista. I forgot that 95% of the mods here are complete Microsoft shills and want to avoid showing mother in a bad light.

Dude, what is your problem? Do you ever have anything pleasant to say?

1) Using the upgrade invalidates your XP key, so you cannot legally reinstall XP after you realize Vista was a huge waste of money.

I believe it has already been proved that this is not true.

2) It does not offer any performance increases over XP at all. There are absolutely no benchmarks out there that show any increase. In my personal experience with it, it is orders of magnitude slower than XP. It takes minutes to transfer relatively small files [~100MB] from one disk to another. The UI [Aero] can be very taxing even though it really doesn't offer that many effects. Beryl & Java3D desktop offer many more and detailed effects that will run smoothly with much lower requirements.

Not 100% sure but I think Aero is all loaded onto the GPU. I had no issues with performance in either XP or Vista so its difficult for me to judge that one. I am shocked though that the Xbox 360 has higher specs than the Xbox, I thought it was just a new OS in a shiny box.

3) DRM. If you don't know why this is bad, then maybe you should read some more about it.

A tough one really, but then you could moan at anyone else that makes a next generation media platform, its a requirement although its not likely to ever be used because any distributer that uses it will face a huge publish backlash when DRM affects how we view our media. I steer clear of purchasing music these days after x64 and MSN music screwed me around so much. DRM inside Vista itself? Can't think I have come across it really out of the box.

4) UAC, to quote Hencry Spencer "Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."

Disable it, if you can't figure out how, you are actually one of the people that need to use it. If you do, after a few weeks when your configuration and installations are done re-enable it and see how much it does actually get in the way.

5) AutoCAD does not offer a version that is compatible with Vista and wont offer a service pack to fix it, that means your $4,000 software will not work until 2008 is released and you have to pay for an upgrade. That is a personal problem since I use AutoCAD daily.

Like you said, alot of 3rd party vendors need time to catch up, was the same with XP when we are started out on this site and its exciting times with lots of software updates, or frustrating if there aren't.

I love Vista but I do have problems with it and I am enjoying working them out, as far as $400 being too expensive for the Ultimate? Most likely but its the version for the person that wants everything so people should be looking at Home Premium as the top one and looking for the extra stuff they might need in Home Server later this year.

MS did actually also say that their biggest competitor in the OS market was XP and alot of work has been done to make various new stuff, built from teh ground up, work like XP.

MS did actually also say that their biggest competitor in the OS market was XP and alot of work has been done to make various new stuff, built from teh ground up, work like XP.

Well said. I'm waiting for you all to work out the kinks.... XP is still my standard for awhile.

I love it, biggest thing that is annoying me at the moment is that it is hanging at reboots unless I remove some weird device from device manager and I have no idea what it is, but I am using all kinds of beta drivers.

Another issue I had isI told zip fiopen and then had to registry edit to revert that change.
WHATEVER YOU DO NEVER TELL ZIP FILES TO OPEN WITH IEXPLORE - IT WILL GO UTTERLY APE ****.

Good points all around EP. I also have had minor glitches here and there, but not as many as when I was running the BETA versions :eek:

Another thing that came to mind wrt pricing, Ultimate Edition essentially combines features that were previously unavailable together, such as Windows XP Pro and Windows Media Center. MCE features weren't availabe in XP Pro, and you couldn't add MCE PC's to domains.

Sure, it's high end, but most people won't need the features. Those who do, can really benefit and essentially it's the first product of it's kind do to it. Yeah, there are tons more features besides what I just pointed out, but technically it is combining two previous versions into one wrt to features and price.

I migrated today, sort of. I did a clean install of Vista Ultimate x64.

A few problems and a few comments.

UltraMon is not 100% supported. The "Smart Taskbar" feature doesn't work correctly (maybe after I reboot?).

Windows OneCare (I didn't know) doesn't have a version compatible with x64. Oh goody!

Office 2007 on Vista simply rocks.

The new mobile sync center rocks (especially when using with Exchange).

Will update more later.

Dude, what is your problem? Do you ever have anything pleasant to say?
Matt, just leave him alone. Trying to reason with such people is like talking to a brick wall.
Anyway, coming back to which version of Vista you should get...

Last edited:
Here ya guys go... This can help justify the cost of Vista Ultimate (a little) if you have multiple PC's you were wanting to upgrade to Vista.

Windows Vista Family Discount

Enjoy the security, performance, and entertainment capabilities of Windows Vista throughout your home. Purchase the Windows Vista Ultimate retail boxed product, and you can upgrade up to two additional PCs in your household to Windows Vista Home Premium for only $49.99 ($59.99 CAD) each.* Order online, and within minutes you’ll be ready to upgrade your computers at over 60% off the estimated retail price!*

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pr...amilydiscount.mspx?wt_svl=20108a&mg_id=20108b

leencaci

I migrated today, sort of. I did a clean install of Vista Ultimate x64.

A few problems and a few comments.

UltraMon is not 100% supported. The "Smart Taskbar" feature doesn't work correctly (maybe after I reboot?).

Windows OneCare (I didn't know) doesn't have a version compatible with x64. Oh goody!

Office 2007 on Vista simply rocks.

The new mobile sync center rocks (especially when using with Exchange).

Will update more later.
WOC got some bad press today too -

http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6156733.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

4) Can you imagine Windows with a Unix base like OS X?
5) Similar to the OS X PPC -> Intel changeover and Adobe Photoshop CS2. CS2 would pretty much not run on an Intel chip though the demo would for some bizarre reason and that forced a lot of designers to stick with PPC based machines. All I am saying is that its not technically Microsofts fault that AutoCAD won't run and its pretty crap that AutoDesk are essentially holding their customers hostage if they want to migrate to Vista. If there is a serious contender to AutoCAD which does run on Vista then AutoDesk could see reduced revenues when their 2008 release comes around.

There really is no competitor to AutoCAD, which is a problem, and Microsoft strong armed them into discontinuing their Unix versions a long time ago. It has always been AutoDesk's policy not to release service packs to accommodate OS released after their software. I didn't blame MS for this, but pointed it out as a reason not to upgrade. I am certain that they are not alone in forcing end users to upgrade to newer software.

As far as me not being pleasant, my post detailed what I think good & bad. Just because it is not along the lines of Vista ROX!@!! doesn't mean it was unfounded.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back