which ti 4600 ?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by C.Y.A., Jun 18, 2003.

1. C.Y.A.

C.Y.A. Guest

i was wondering if anyone could tell which card i should buy i am willing to pay up to $200 u.s. it is the ti 4600 128 mb series..The cards i was looking at were asus abit and albetron i think that is the name anyways they are all just below 200 the asus was the cheapest though please give me your thoughts thx..

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

why buy a ti 4600 when you can buy either an nvidia 5600ultra/ati radeon 9500pro or 9600pro from the same amount of money ? they are as fast or faster than the 4600 and all have dx9 support in hardware... AND they can do AA and AF @ decent frame rates...

just a little confusing..

to answer your question... abit/albatron/asustek and msi all are good/well known manufacturers of nvidia cards... albatron has made a good name for itself by having decent overclocking cards @ a cheap price.. but you can't go wrong with any of the companies you listed...

3. C.Y.A.

C.Y.A. Guest

well i looked at the 5600 ultra and it looks like a good card and its 256 mb for about the same price but my mobo is only 4x agp and its 8x so i was wondering if it will work??

4. Sazar

don't bother with the 256mb version :)

you will not see a performance boost with that card.. the 256mb for the 5600ultra is a marketing gimmick and will cost you close to a hundred bucks more :)

agp 4x/8x is reverse compatible... 8x will work in a 4x motherboard... look @ mine :D

I have a 4x mobo and and 8x capable card... but the performance 'gain' is negligible going to 8x...

5. C.Y.A.

C.Y.A. Guest

Sazar, ok now i am a lil cofused :( i checked out the ati 9600 pro and that one is cheaper then the ti 4600 the 5600 ultra is about the same price maybe cheaper..ati i never had one of their cards but i here good things now before it was the drivers people were complaining about. I checked out your card and wow that one is a lil out of my price range. i thought the ti 4600 out of these cards was the fastest..so out of these 3 cards which one would u recomend ? :) thx

6. Sazar

the 9600pro is the fastest of the 3 you have named... and it should also have one of the better prices...

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc4

check out the comparisons there...

the 9500pro... if you can find it... is the best deal of the lot...

7. C.Y.A.

C.Y.A. Guest

:) i checked out the 9500 pro and that one is more expensive out of the lot at pricewatch.com..so now i think i will just wait a lil longer to buy a new graphics card thanx for your input i hope i didn't waste to much of your time..your input did help though i do think i will look into all these cards a lil more..i have the geforce 3 ti 200 and it does the job for now i was just looking for a new card because of the new games that are coming out like doom 3 i think i will need a new graphics card with more ram..thx again.

8. Sazar

np...

there is at least one more card from nvidia coming out before the end of the year... right around the time doom 3 will drop... and ati has at least 2 new releases.. well one ramped up product (r350 with higher clocks and other features) and a new product @ the end of the year/early next year which will be quite amzing from the looks of it :)

the gf3 should do the job for now..