Which soundcard should I get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by UofEEE, Jun 21, 2002.

1. UofEEE

UofEEE Guest

My system specs are below, but I want to know if I'd notice the difference with the Pine C-Media 8738 sound card and the Soundblaster Live! 5.1. The Pine card is cheaper, but I've heard bad things about them in the past. I've currently got a ESS Solo-1 2 channel, and it sounds baaaad. I've also got Altec Lansing 2.1 ACS-33 speakers. Thanks!

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

I'm biased,

Soundblaster hands down. :D

look at my specs. :D

3. UofEEE

UofEEE Guest

Haha! With speakers like that! Heck yea I'd be biased!

4. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Got to play my chooooooooons !!!!!!

:D

5. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

I'd say Soundblaster Audigy myself, but between the two, Soundblaster, anyway, also get some 5.1 speakers, but if you want digital 7.1's or something of that nature get an Audigy, Live series is finefor 5.1's though...

6. Dont buy that crap, the best sound card that is at a really good price is the Santa Cruz from Turtle Beach. Its a great card. Its got a hardware eq, and processes mp3's on its own. I have one and so do all my friends. The driver support is great too. A must for everyone!!

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/santacruz/producthome.asp

7. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

could not agree more if you got the money get the Soundblaster Audigy. But at very least the Soundblaster Live 5.1.

8. UofEEE

UofEEE Guest

Thanks guys! Soundblaster it is....

9. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

please state your opinion, but don't call other ppl's stuff crap, not nice. :(

I have an opinion about the Santa Cruz from Turtle Beach, but I won't share it, and call it crap.

:D

10. Gnu

Gnu OSNN Addict

My opinion, keep the flames away.

The Live! and Audigy are bloated, overpriced, and overrated -- I've owned two of one and one of the other, and none of them are currently in any of my machines. You're better off with one of Hercules or Turtle Beach's offerings -- especially under XP -- and will be spending much less.

11. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I personally like the hercules game theater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i have a live! at first... loved it... then got an audigy and sold my live! to someone... love the audigy even more. i thought the live had fabulous fidelity, but the audigy's is even better.

the only 2 turtle beach cards i've experience were along the lines of crappy and poopoo.

hercules is so-so.

13. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I have an Audigy, the last thing that I would call it is bloated. Sure I only installed half the software for it so that helps but still it is great. Admittedly PlayCentre 3 takes a few seconds longer than most proggies to load but that is due to the size of my MP3 collection.

14. Santamanne

Santamanne Guest

Via chipset + SB Live! = Big no no

15. Geffy

VIA chipset + SB Audigy or SB Live is fine

16. MaDCeLL

MaDCeLL Guest

sb live player

i like to see the human ear that can make a difference between live! and audigy !

17. Geffy

sorry my ear doesnt like its picture being taken.

Actually SB Audigy seems to have better compatibility with XP than SB Live, I have had both with XP, the Audigy is better.

18. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

The Audigy is definitely more compatible with the NT Kernel. Period.

19. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

when you blast the same songs for 2 years with a particular soundcard then switch, you'll be able to tell the difference. i'm sure the digital speakers helped.

20. busto

busto Guest

What about speakers??...I got an Audigy about 4 months ago and am finally looking to get a new set of speakers...I've been looking at those Logitech 5.1 THX sets, does anyone have these and are the worth getting or should I spend a few more bucks and get the Klipsch if I get the THX??