Which Router + firewall to get?

Nick M

OSNN Veteran Addict
Hey! I'm thinking of going out and getting a cable router over the weekend, although, I don't quite know which one to take. I don't want wireless though, too much $$$. I had a DLInK router before, and it sucked, wouldn't fuction properly, etc, many weird problems. So basically, I want to go out and get a router, and some software firewall. Does anyone know any good suggestions for both?

Linksys BEFSR41 been using one for 2 years I love it.

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest the SMC 7004ABR router. Here's a review of the router at Practically Networked. I have nothing against Linksys, I used to own a BEFSR-11 before buying the SMC, the Linksys tech support was great (they called ME back within a few minutes of leaving a message, and live in Canada!), I just liked the added feature of the print server on the SMC and the fact that it was "Practically Recommended" by the website above.

Am I the only one that like's a seperate computer and a hub to do this?!?

I actually have a Linksys BEFSR11 one port router, plus a seperate hub and a switch. I would like to replace the BEFSR11 with a Petnium level PC running Wolverine Embedded Linux later on.

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back