which raid for storage ?

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
i have 2X200GB and 2X160GB hard drives which atm are setup as a raid0 arry, after doing some reading i have found that this isn't the best setup as a single disc failure could wipe out the whole 650GB!!!!

would i be best off leaving it as raid0 and making sure i have everything backed up, or should i move it to a raid1 setup, i know using raid1 will only give me half the space, but will give me redundancy.

Although it shows as 650GB is not its about 613GB so i will only get 307GB, which i will use to store some of the backed up dvds i have been doing

Edit: after looking at what i have on here, i dont think 300gb will be enough :( , think it might be a wiser idea to have them all as separate drives

Last edited:
Fast: RAID0 2+ disks
Safe: Raid 1 or Raid 1+0 2+ or 4+disks
Safest: RAID5. 3+ disks.

to be honest i dont have a clue what the board in there can really do - i know raid0 and raid1, but in what combinations im not sure, is an old board

after doing some reading i have found that this isn't the best setup as a single disc failure could wipe out the whole 650GB!!!!
Didn't I mention this to you way back when you were first talking about this?

Fast: RAID0 2+ disks
Safe: Raid 1 or Raid 1+0 2+ or 4+disks
Safest: RAID5. 3+ disks.

Actually, a RAID 1+0 could be considered safer than a RAID5.. and don't forget about RAID6 which would be safer than a RAID5 as well. Both would allow for double disk failure (assuming your RAID controller does RAID 1+0 right, if you had a big enough RAID10 array, you could actually suffer multiple disk failures and still be humming along).

think you did but the board is old and limited in what it can do (also my memory is shot and the tabs dont help im on) - board is a asus p4c800E deluxe, after looking in the manual - take ages to find it, it says it can do raid0 raid1 and raid0+1.

So im guessing the raid0+1 is the better option mirror/stripe ?

well way i have them in freebsd atm they don't - X helped me concat them and stuff, also some one did say to make it a raid1 but concat 1 of the 200gb and one of the 160gb drives, i might just say f**k it to be honest and have them all as separate drives

if you make the array with the 160's as the primary disks, you can mirror them to larger disks. You just loose the extra space.

However that makes you a RAID0+1 which is not as fault tollerant as 1+0 (stripped mirror, vs mirrored stripe)

lose 80gb!!! i think not might just set fire to the bloody thing

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back