Which one?

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by buzzstpoint, Jun 7, 2005.

1. buzzstpoint

buzzstpoint Computervitals.com Political User

Heres what I got.

Panasonic Toughbook CF-27
    500mhz
    256meg RAM
    Hot swap floppy and cdrom
    Touch screen monitor

Question is.
    What would be a good linux choice.. I'm not good at linux. so I need it to install and load up.

I tried Redhat and mandrake and seemed to bulky for this machine. Also tried Lindows/Linspire 4.5 That wouldn't work cause I couldn't load anything on it..

My last choice was NetBSD install was tricky but I got it.. But it would only boot to console. No gui.. I was told to type root, then type the password. I did then they told me to type startx. When I did this it scrolled a few things then just went to a black screen..

So that didn't work..
    What would be a good choice of Linux.
    also. is it hard to make my Pcmcia Wireless and lan cards to work.. Also what about my touch screen?

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I want a toughbook :p

I suggest either SuSe or Fedora.

3. ep0niks

ep0niks OSNN Junior Addict

You have some tricky hardware.. you might want to try Ubuntu (GNOME flavor) /Kubuntu (KDE flavor) 5.04 Live CD to test if it find proper driver for your Wifi card and touchscreen.. or as X-Istence said Fedora or SuSe. Both are nice but i prefer SuSe for it's overall presentation and YaSt system.

4. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

or if all else fails just get windows xp, all thw other linux crap is for people who can't admit when they're beaten.

5. i say suse would do it

6. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

I agree with suse. It is easy to install from DVD and easy to update. 9.3 has firefox loaded without any work. It is very clean to me.

7. mfarley

mfarley OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

SuSE get's my vote, easiest learning curve I've found. Good luck with Linux, I loved it with the exception of lack of ported software that I need.

8. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

my toughbook is fantastic and it only has 192 mem. CF-48 i run Xp on it but it did fairly well with ubuntu on mine as well as knoppix.

9. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Nice, helpful post. Maybe you're just not smart enough to use linux. Editting text files can consume alot of brain power.

10. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Lancer's post was uncalled for, but to be honest, it takes more patience than actual intelligence to use Linux.

Anyway, let's stay on topic. Like someone above already suggested, I think you should try the Ubuntu LiveCD first. If everything works nicely, and you like it, you can install it. If not, you can always look for another distro. I personally had quite a good experience with Ubuntu when I tried it. :)

11. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

As others have said this does not help the poster.

Why would you suggest Windows XP, if the poster asks for Linux by name? It is not like he asked "What OS should i get for my ToughBook?". No he asked "What distribution of Linux should i get for my Toughbook".

In this case, your post is unhelpfull, and at the same time a flame. Seeing as other mods have not done anything about it, i will leave your post as-is, but anymore such comments will not be appreciated. Everyone has their own choice of OS, and that should not be put down, just because you do not appreciate it. If this is too hard for you to do, please do not visit this section of the forums anymore, so that we don't get any trouble.

Jan-Willem Regeer