Which NVIDIA Card GF4 TI or GF FX

D

Daniel Rossi

Hi Everyone,
As i only have a crappy GF 2MX 400 with 64mb of SDRAM lol i am wanting to get a better NVIDIA card and i was wondering which is actually the better card as i can either get a GF4 TI 4200 with 128MB of DDR RAM for 200 - 300 bucks or a GF FX 5200with 128MB of DDR RAM (not the ultra version) for 100 to 200 bucks and performance and features wise which one would actually be better as even if i go for the ultra version of the FX cards its still cheaper than the GF 4 TI's....

any info given is very much appreciated!!!

Originally posted by Daniel Rossi
Hi Everyone,
As i only have a crappy GF 2MX 400 with 64mb of SDRAM lol i am wanting to get a better NVIDIA card and i was wondering which is actually the better card as i can either get a GF4 TI 4200 with 128MB of DDR RAM for 200 - 300 bucks or a GF FX 5200with 128MB of DDR RAM (not the ultra version) for 100 to 200 bucks and performance and features wise which one would actually be better as even if i go for the ultra version of the FX cards its still cheaper than the GF 4 TI's....

any info given is very much appreciated!!!

the gf4 ti series is available for around 150-200 tops for a GOOD card with a GOOD bundle...

the gf4ti 4200 is a much more powerful card than the gf FX 5200... you can search many websites for info on these products... www.hardocp.com or www.anandtech.com and you will see the same performance delta over the 5200 that the 4200 has...

remember the non-ultra is a pretty low end card :) the ultra has much higher clocks...

I would recommend getting the gf4ti series strongly.. over the gf FX 5200... unless you only want a cheap card :)

I'm curios at which have you thought first [ ? ] ..

Would be perfect to edit your topic and insert a poll

But my recommandation is the FX5200 .. ( personal opinion ) I'll buy an FX5200 from Leadtek next week replacing my actual GF MX 440 Leadtek too ( maybe this is my reason ) ... :confused:

I bought a GF4 Ti 4200 with the 128Mb's and am pretty happy with it. Pretty happy being I havent had any probs with any games. Like:

RavenShield
GTA3
Starwars Galactic BG
and a few other RTS games.

For what its worth, with that card and a 2.53 P4 with 512 Mb's of DDR ram, I can score about 11,000 with Mad Onions 3D Mark2001SE.
I know some people dont put much stock into that program, but, there it is FYI.

have you also considered the Radeon line? Like the 9200 - 9800. This will be my next upgrade. Radeon has been continuly improving while Nvidia seems to have stalled. Might change by the time I am in the market again, but that is where I stand as of now. Radeon seems to be putting more effort into the card its'slef while Nvidia seems to be more interested in putting out new drivers to compensate for their card. Granted I own a GF4 Ti 4200 128 4X card. But I wish I had an 8X card. But even at that I have no complaints, I have been able to play every game I have tried with no problems, but I also haven't tried the newer games on the market other than C & C Generals.

Thanks....

Thanks for everyones replies but my personal opinion is that i wouldnt touch any card made by ATI with a 10 foot barge pole lol:p

Soo basically how i see it is that a 128MB GF4 Ti is faster than a 128MB GF FX 5200 ULTRA??? or have i got that all wrong???

Re: Thanks....

Originally posted by Daniel Rossi
Thanks for everyones replies but my personal opinion is that i wouldnt touch any card made by ATI with a 10 foot barge pole lol:p

Soo basically how i see it is that a 128MB GF4 Ti is faster than a 128MB GF FX 5200 ULTRA??? or have i got that all wrong???

yup... the gf FX 5200 is a budget card... the gf4 ti 4200 still has better performance :)

only advantages of the 5200 are dx9 compatability and better AA and FSAA (but frame rates are hardly playable)... but STILL i would consider the 4200 above the 5200...

I refuse to comment on this since I have no knowledge of that which I speak and I will in future not belittle fellow hardware enthusiasts for the sake of spreading false information...

btw 77bucks for fx5200 128mb....www.pricewatch.com

post edited for content by your friendly neighborhood mod... Sazar

[edit] I would advise you to watch what you say prodg88... and consider advice given here is FREE and in good faith... we are not here to mislead people purposely and it is OUR job as enthusiasts to separate products that are hyped from ones that are actually WORTH the money people spend on them... it is not YOUR money.. it is the thread starters money and they will be provided with as much PROPER information as is available to us to pass on...

if you wish to help out... please do so in a constructive manner...

- Sazar [/edit]

Yes, only geeks :rolleyes:

I say the 4200. Excellent card.

k im typing what i said earlier... anyway

the fx is almost half the cost of the TI's. and as for performance its fully compatible with directx 9!!!!!! Yeah the ti 4200 performs better in benchmarks but only nitpicky people would see that so go for the fx because of its new technology!

Originally posted by prodj88
k im typing what i said earlier... anyway

the fx is almost half the cost of the TI's. and as for performance its fully compatible with directx 9!!!!!! Yeah the ti 4200 performs better in benchmarks but only nitpicky people would see that so go for the fx because of its new technology!

see... :) much better :D

my contention is... yes... fine it supports dx9 in hardware... that really does not mean much simply due to the lack of horsepower there is little chance of one actually being able to play games @ a playable framerate with the 5200 series in situations that use the shader calls from dx9 spec... I just can't see that happening... even @ really low resolutions...

considering you are unlikely to have a glut of dx9 games any time soon.. it is far more logical to just get a dx8 card such as the gf4 ti 4200 card simply because only now are dx8 based games coming out in any force...

there is about a 30-40 dollar price difference between teh 5200 non-ultra and the gf4ti 4200... and the non-ultra cards have little juice...

either you buy the gf FX 5200 with new tech (which is more for show than anything else) or you get a gf4ti 4200 and actually get the ability to play games :)

I have to say Ti4200 I just got mine a month ago and its fantastic its an MSI Ti4200 128mb ddr 8x AGP with crt and dvi conectors so yes duel moniters is a breeze came with a great software package I run the clocks at 266/594 thats this cards sweet spot

I cant say enough good things about my Ti4200 and with my Athlon 1800+@1.73 ghz I get 10,454 on 3dmark

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6478891

So I would say go get the Ti4200 now and like me have a blast and I will go buy a highend directx9 card when I see that directx9 is current in games that are on the market :)

I had the same card Kermit...before I got my 4400. Highly reccomend it. Did you get the adapters and the VIVO cables with it also?

Yes it came complete with all the cables and the dvi to crt converter so I can hook 2 crt moniters to it ..and a great software bundle it was 11 cd's some games and some ap's :)

Heh, I believe MSI has the best bundles, they have the heaviest boxes :p

Yes they offer a nice package was hard to say no cost me $200can taxes included.... thats around $120us :)

ok i own a triplex geforce 4 ti 4200 128Mb 4x....with the recent E3 and lookin at most of the games that run on Directx 9..i would go for the fx 5200 not because its crappier but its just that it supports new technology....true the ti 4200 does better in 3d mark...but if you want to up grade dont u want to upgrade for the future? well this is just my opnion...but if you do get a ti4200 i would think its better to get the 64Mb ver as its cheaper and it runs at a faster clock speed 3.0ns if im not mistaken comapred to the 3.3 for the 128. this again depending on who makes the ram.

I would not say fx5200 is thinking ahead sorry FX5200 and FX5600 are not all that great if you said FX5800 or FX5900 then I agree and the Ti4200 128mb well mine anyways runs very well at the speeds listed below

Originally posted by Kermit
I would not say fx5200 is thinking ahead sorry FX5200 and FX5600 are not all that great if you said FX5800 or FX5900 then I agree and the Ti4200 128mb well mine anyways runs very well at the speeds listed below

all im saying is that FX 5200 is better cuz it supports DX9. even tho it is slower then the Ti4200.

hmm dx9....
dunno when we will see dx9 games...
i support 4200 ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back