Which Motherboard & Video Card is best?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ECO, Dec 6, 2003.

1. ECO

ECO Guest

Motherboards:

MSI 875P NEO-FIS2R vs. Abit AB-IC7-MAX3 vs. ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE

Video Cards:

ATI PowerColour Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB vs. ATI Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB (roughly same price)

Which is the best in each category? The goal is maximum performance for a gamer pc.

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

if you can get the msi 865pe neo2 fisr like mine you are all set... the only difference is that the 875 == registered memory... else everythng else is same and the neo2 has PAT (or as msi calls it... DOT)

I bought my board based on comparitive performance between each (checks toms for review of the motherboard) it is finicky but if you supply it with ddr3200 along with 800fsb (ie a C processor) it is faster in comparative tests to the abit or asus... though they have a good reputation and are fast as well... the msi board just comes with more stuff for less...

as for gfx card.. the 128 mb sapphire :)

the 256mb doesnt make much difference on that level card and powercooler has been known to occasionaly use cheaper components on its pcb's... if you feel you need the extra mem and since price is close... you can always go with the powercooler...

3. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

4. Sazar

yes but most good fabs make 865PE's that come with PAT (renamed of course) so there is no need to purchase an 875..

the intel based mobo's are not as overclocker friendly and the other boards do contain a lot of really good features...

5. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

True but I've had great luck with Intel boards but then again I'm not an overclocker so I'm for looking for the best stable/value I can find and for the most part Intel boards provide that. Though I thought the 875PBZ was designed with gamers in mind but maybe I miss read that story or it change between then and when the board came out

6. Sazar

I am sure intel makes some boards geared to oc'ing... thats why PAT exists in part...

still the 865's from other companies allow PAT and are cheaper and have more features... so why not buy them ?