which mobo (for P4s)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jawshoouh, Sep 17, 2002.

1. jawshoouh

jawshoouh Guest

AMD-lovers need not reply :)

i've got a P4 1.6 and my mobo seems to be toast (see http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20436), i'm lookin to get a new one...

wanna stick with ASUS since i like em, but i'm up for anything under $150. want somethin with UDMA-133 if at all possible, but wanna keep my upgrade possibilities open, as well. here's my current specs:

(practically dead) ASUS P4B266
    1GB DDR PC2100
    3x80GB Ultra-133 HDDs
    2x40GB Ultra-133 HDDs
    1 CD-RW
    1 DVD-Rom
    ASUS Geforce3 AGP

been lookin at the ASUS site and Tom's Hardware but my head's spinning :) any suggestions?

2. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

Yep those ASUS boards are good, or ABit.

why not get a Promise ATA133 controller card, I have one for my two Maxtor D740X's, no problems with XP at all, damn fast infact.

3. jawshoouh

jawshoouh Guest

i've got one of those promise ata133 controllers...definitely agree with you on that one :)

4. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

get the ASUS P4T533-C

5. jawshoouh

jawshoouh Guest

can't, i wanna keep the RAM that i have instead of buying new RAM, and the P4T533-C only takes RIMMs (i've got DDR DIMMs). looks like a great board, tho

6. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

oh, then get the asus DDR one, i really like asus for its service and product.

7. intel's are all very stable

8. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

do you mean the chipsets or the boards? i like the chipsets, just not their boards. Given that their boards are very stable.

9. jawshoouh

jawshoouh Guest

the reviews of the SiS chipset on a few ASUS boards look good...anyone have any real-world experience with em?

10. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

Don't go with SiS, go with an intel of VIA, i think KT400 is out soon... if now now, (not keeping up with product releases)