Which Laptop?

Which laptop

• Total voters
OT and back on again

Evil Marge said:
...I couldn't do it :eek: :p

HHhhmmmmmm that wiykd depend maybe? I was in a bit of trouble with my better half and it added £400 odd to my visa card in iKEA today!

BUT back OT Henny - why not buy the eMachines I have! I am well hapy and I do think you should consider ngetting the 802.11g instead of b which will rapidly be outmoded.... just a THOUGHT?

i was panning to get the g to go with the g router i'm about to buy ;)

i plan to get a top of range model so that it doesn't become outdated for ~4/5 years. i know the emachines are good value, but the parts are cheaply made + this reflects in the cost :( i really want a good laptop with quality parts.

an x86 laptop that lasts 5 years? good luck with that one :D

:p you know what i mean, it will be sufiecient to last, i know 64 bit will be along in like 2 years ;)

heh i wish i could get a laptop, even if its outdated, i wouldn't want to play games or anything on it, just use it at school and stuff, stupid pencils and pens!

cheers for the good input guys/gals :cool: keep it coming

Get an iBook... sorry, just realised I hadn't said it yet :p

Well the Sony Vaio laptop I got was £1299.

2.8Ghz
512 mb ram
60Gb HDD
Radeon onboard graphics with upto 128mb assignable ram.
DVD/CD RW (both)
Great display quality too.

If you've a branch of John Lewis nearby you can get an extra year manufacturer warranty thrown in free.

Well built, stable and I'm very pleased with it!

Oh and it's also got a inbuilt port for the sony memory stick, which if you've a sony digital camera is very useful.

Only problem with John Lewis is a lot of their stuff is sold at the exact RRP, and therefore you'll almost never find things cheaper there. Nice shop to browse in though :D

SPeedY_B said:
Only problem with John Lewis is a lot of their stuff is sold at the exact RRP, and therefore you'll almost never find things cheaper there. Nice shop to browse in though :D

A good point SPeedY :)

When I'd decided to go for the Vaio I'd looked around the net at a few names: e-buyer, Scan etc... and all of them had the machine on indefinite backorder. At those sites the cost was also little different from the rrp. Infact it made me wonder if Sony had some sort of price fix on the product :confused:

Anyway I wandered through Lewis's and there they were, maybe £50 more expensive but with double the warranty and IN STOCK! :w00t:

The other thing about Lewis's is that it's a no **** service you get from them. If it doesn't work in any respect they take it back, no questions, no cost to you.

Agreed, you may pay more (be it a little or a lot) but JL is a reputable retailer.

i'm planning to wonder off to places like pcworld today just so i can go have a play :p

you may notice they have a toshiba @ £899 currently, i wanbt to take a closer look @ it :D

Henyman said:
i'm planning to wonder off to places like pcworld today ...

Scarey.... be careful not to get carried away and buy anything too quickly. I know you want quality spec. but I could not help noticing Tiny's top end offering would get you an AMD 64 in a lap top for just under £1,100. I know that would tempt me - what about you? You said you wanted it to last 4-5 years and at least this way your processors up to it! :p

Tiny === crap :p i hate them, + time machines. they are ok if ya only wanna pay £~500 and get a laptop, but i wouldn't spend big $$$ on em . there are 2 toshiba's i'm looking at. both have 2.8p4 30Gb drive, dvd writer etc. one is £100 more because it has a mobility radeon instead of onboard graphics.

yay i've been spending money :p ordered linksys 54g adsl gateway + wireless router, and a 54g notebook card to go with it :D so thats the wireless side sorted, i also trasfred my £££ around to my bank accout, gota wait till weekend for it all to clear though :(

when that clears i'll go shopping again (sunday probebly) and get the laptop which will be:
Model - TOSHIBA A30-141
# Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor
# 512Mb DDR Ram
# 30 Gb Hard Drive
# DVD Rom and CD-RW Drive
# 15"TFT Display
# 64Mb ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 Graphics
# MS Works Software
# 2 x USB Connections
# Windows XP Home Edition
# 1 Year Free Warranty

£999 :D

Nice laptop :)
If you're planning on keeping it for a while though, I'd suggest paying a little more for an extended warranty (2-3 yrs).

well, i just bought a HP Pav zd7000 and i LOVE it. i'm hoping mine last for a few years too, it will for what i use it for. anyway, i spent $2,100

win xp pro
Pent. 4 HT
1 gig Ram
80 Gig HDD
dvd/cd burner combo
modem, nic, wirless (11b)
17 widescreen 100 dpi (1440x900)
128 meg video
fullsize ketboard with num pad and synaptics touchpad
4 usb, 1 s-vid, media card reader, 1 type 3 pcmcia
the processor has a zif socket supposedly to upgrade easy later on.

its a little large 2" x 10" x 15" and 9.6 pounds, but its a good desktop substitue. i dont need to go mobile often, but have to sometimes. the screen has been my fav. if you need to go mobile often, i'd consider a differant laptop, but for just the occasional outing, in my humble opionion, it can't be beat. i love this computer!!!

NetRyder said:
Nice laptop :)
If you're planning on keeping it for a while though, I'd suggest paying a little more for an extended warranty (2-3 yrs).

yeah i was thinking about it :cool:

Henyman said:
yeah i was thinking about it :cool:
I thought about it and took it - and have same spec as you except with wide screen and 40 GB HD and of course EMachines (which I know you spit upon) but then again - I only spent £20 more than you are,....

and did you know eMachines use Tosh drives? :p

I love my e machine... much better quality over all then my previous hp

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back