Which is faster? P4 LGA775 3.6GHZ or AMD 939 3500??

Dan04

OSNN Addict
Hi everyone,

I was wondering which would be faster? Intel's P4 Prescott LGA755 3.6ghz cpu or AMD's 939 3500??

Thanks ;)

thanks Sazar, i think i will go with the amd option hehe, i just wish amd would hurry up with their pci express motherboard? does anyone have an idea when that migh happen as i dont wanna really go out n buy the stuff n find a few weeks later they release something new lol, what mobo would you recommend for the 939 3500 msi, asus, gigabyte etc

I'd recommend Asus A8V Deluxe. Pay attention to the revision number, though. Revision #2 is much better than #1, mainly because of the AGP/PCI lock. For more information about 939-pin motherboards, you might want to read this article: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128

Edit:
In that article, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum has received the Gold Editor Choice Award. That board is quite good too, but MSI didn't really have a good reputation when it comes to motherboards and hard disks. Asus is known for their motherboards' reliability. Still, if you really want top-notch and the fastest hardware, you could go for MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum rather than Asus A8V Deluxe. Personally, I still recommend the Asus board. xD

yeh thanks that asus board looks good, ive tried contacting one of my local wholesalers to see what revision it is but their dopey soo yeh i got no idea what revision it is, but neways does that pci/agp lock only come into effect when you go to overclock coz if that is so i dont intend to overclock anyways

EDIT: Whats so wrong about msi's stuff exactly??

Even if you're not an overclocker, it's still advised to take revision #2 "just in case". ;)

As for MSI: they had a poor reputation in the past with HDDs failing often and motherboards being unstable and other negative things. Although that's rarely the case now, just give them a couple more years and who knows they'll be much much more reliable than before. They do have a good start now with their latest AMD64 motherboard.

I have been using MSI boards personally for almost 4 years... not had a problem with them in any respect...

I think they have an excellent reputation personally with regards to gigabyte and asus and abit... those 3 are occasionally over-rated when compared to other board-makers...

rather the top-tier board makers are all around the same in various respects and one should select a board on its merits wrt how one is likely to use em...

I have used 4 different chipsets from MSI on 2 different platforms and never had an HDD fail on me due to the controllers on the motherboard :)

MSI is in court in a class action law suit because of all the faulty motherbaords it sold, the caps leaked and they were aware of what the problem was but continued to sell the boards anyways.

But I dont expect that to be a problem now because all those caps are now off the market, as for Gigabyte great boards , Asus also very good.

I heard some pretty bad reports on Gigabyte's Socket 939 board on the overclocker's forum, hence why I chose MSI. Has worked superbly for me so far :)

Kermit_The_Frog said:
MSI is in court in a class action law suit because of all the faulty motherbaords it sold, the caps leaked and they were aware of what the problem was but continued to sell the boards anyways.

But I dont expect that to be a problem now because all those caps are now off the market, as for Gigabyte great boards , Asus also very good.

asus is in hot water coz of exploding caps on their motherboards as well...

and this is a lot more recent than actions v/s msi...

the point is simple... when comparing all the boards today... out there now... there is little difference...

choose the layout and features you like...

Sazar said:
asus is in hot water coz of exploding caps on their motherboards as well...

and this is a lot more recent than actions v/s msi...

the point is simple... when comparing all the boards today... out there now... there is little difference...

choose the layout and features you like...

...And check out their support, i.e driver updates on the website, bios updates, live operators etc. Soyo, for instance, is piss poor when it comes to support. You don't want to have trouble and then have to mail the motherboard in to get it fixed, especially when it's just a software issue. MSI is good. But I had a bad MSI 865PE Neo2 mainboard which I ended up scrapping. I recently went with an Intel board, which works very well with my 3.4 GHz P4.

-Wrath

look lads I am not trying to start or inflame a pitched battle wrt which company is better than the next...

if you prefer a particular vendor or board maker feel free to promote the reasons why... if you are going to trash a vendor or board maker for a product unrelated to one you have used or had experience with based on hearsay or experience with the company on an alternate chipset or whatever perhaps leave it at "I used X product and had Y problems with it, keep an eye out"

with the current generation of 939 boards there are a lot of people experiencing problems with all the main vendors who have come to the market... Abit, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte have ALL had their share of problems...

the Asus and the Gigabyte have been the less popular boards so there is less problems reported on them @ the boards I have visited...

the main workaround has been to get certain types of memory... many of the issues should likely be rectified with bios updates as well...

in light of the fact that ALL the board makers have shown problems, most of them fixable, it is only fair to suggest... IMO... that dan look @ the layouts of the boards and ensure he has appropriate ram to run the equipment and go from there... it is his money afterall and we are not making any warranty arrangements if the suggestion we put forth happens to fail..

I hope it makes sense...

-edit- sry wrath.. missed yer post while i wrote this... good points...

Kermit_The_Frog said:

Yeah, pretty much every board manufacturer got stung by those bad caps.

Thanks for all ur comments guys that has helped me alot, i think with the quality of all the parts nowadays its just go with whatever suits ya from what ive heard so ill think ill go with the Asus K8V Deluxe if i decide to go with another AMD hehe, as when i had a duron 850 some years back it did the exploding caps thing on a msi board but this msi board i have atm for my a64 seems pretty good its the same as what Sazar has

once again thanks to all for explainin all the bad things that ppl dont want you to know about hehe :p

You mean A8V Deluxe, right? Not K8V, because that's a different motherboard with a different pin count, on which the AMD64 3500+ will not work.

Just to clear up some things. :p

yeh thats the one i mean, just had a busy day and i am tired :p

onimkron said:
I heard some pretty bad reports on Gigabyte's Socket 939 board on the overclocker's forum, hence why I chose MSI. Has worked superbly for me so far :)

What exactly did you read/hear on the Gigabyte boards? As far as I know, the K8 boards of Gigabyte are very limited in terms of OC'ing.... so far. Apart from this, I haven't heard anything else that makes it sound that bad.

From what I could gather I am a member at overclockers and it seems it was memory problems more then anything else, I would not worry about what 1 person says, I mean no matter what you buy your going to have someone somewhere with a problem, and its the other way around also, not because one guy uses it that your going have no troubles. I would not worry about any big name brand more or less than any other, but I do think its important to look at their updates, some companies have terrible websites, where you have trouble finding what you need, and some companies just dont put out updated bios's very often.

yeh i agree with ya there Kermit_The_Frog, also i don't know what it is with asus though they need to get their act together in their support side as wenever i have had to email them about something you never get a reply and yet any other company has soo far to me but yeh they could update their software/drivers a bit quickers n more often too as when i had a Asus P4P800 Deluxe board its onboard nic driver really needed more than a couple of updates theyve offered due to it doing some real wierd stuff related to its drivers...b4 you say go to the manufacturers site seeing it was a 3com card they said on their site go to your mobo manufacturer..just thought id say that to clear any responses about that part up :)

also that SLI thing were you have 2 PCI express x16 slots for video cards wens the quickest we would possibly see that?

sli == probably by end of this year it will be demo'd/previewed with apps... by next year it should start popping up in the first half of the year I spose...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back