Which is better??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ZipTriX, Feb 18, 2002.

1. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Maxtor DiamondMax® Plus 60 or IBMDeskstar 120GXP??

2. DrX

DrX Guest

Personally i would not go near an IBM drive, I have had nothing but problems with my IBM's... sent back 4 drives so far

My maxtors are great i recommend them......

3. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

I've never personally owned one, but I have heard IBMs have very crappy quality control, and they have a huge RMA rate.

I am running Dual 40GB Maxtors in RAID in a server at work, running for 140 days without a hitch.

I use Western Digitals in my home machine. They work great too.

JJB6486

4. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

IBM GXP Problems: The Truth Exposed and Possible Fixes
    Published: 12/02/2002
    Author: Cameron Wilmot

For months now users of IBM manufactured hard disk drives based on the Deskstar 60GXP and 75GXP models have been experiencing substantial frequent fail rates and data loss – Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot recently fell victim himself and suggsts what the problem may be, and possible solutions!

more----> http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=180

:cool:

5. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Thank you!! I was thinking highly about IBM, then saw the new Maxtors. Currently I have Western Digitals, and well this will be the second time replacing them within a year. Thank you for saving me a headache of going through crappy hard drives.

6. eGoalter

eGoalter Guest

maxtor.all the way

its a well known fact that maxtor are the best, and most reliable.
    thats all i have ever used i have never had 1 problem,unless you count the time i tried to shove one in a cramped floppy bay. that was my bad......lol:D

7. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

My IBM just crapped out on me the other day. Actually it "developed" a bad cluster, but now I don't trust it. With my luck the next bad cluster will appear on the most important piece of data on my drive. :mad:

This kinda sucks too because back when I bought it I did research to find the best preformance/reliability drive on the market (that wasn't SCSI).

Well, I just got a Maxtor 80G so I'll see how that works for me.

8. da rock

da rock Guest

i've been using maxtor hd's for awhile and never encountered
    a prob yet!