Which is better?

Z

ZipTriX

Building a new pc, and was wondering which DDR Ram is better.

KINGSTON 512MB DDRAM PC2100 ECC CL2.5 or KINGSTON 512MB DDRAM PC2100 NON ECC CL2.5?

ECC is a little more expensive, you usually only need ECC if you are gonna be a server otherwise you might as well get the non ecc and save some cash

It's like a $20 difference from a place locally. So what is ECC?

it's just ram that error checks the data stream as it comes in, but ram errors rarely cause a problem, they are used in server environments because in a server environment you need to meet what is called the seven nine's...which means

99.99999% uptime

My new pc will be somewhat like a server. :p It'll stay 24/7 (if that is possible) so my family can upload and whatnot on my pc.

Make sure you read your m/b specs to see what type of Ram it will accept.

even then ya won't need ECC, and lonman has a very good point :)

Originally posted by ZipTriX
looking at the soyo dragon.

what would you recommend?
oooo, the dragon... GOOD choice man. That sucker rocks. I'll have to go take a look-see at the RAM specs for it. It sports the VIA chipset though, but It's supposed to be one of the best in spite of that. I notice too it doesn't support the newer ATA133 standard, but ATA100 is still damn fast. Let me go take a look and see what I can find.

Doesn't the harddrive have to be ata133 capable? I think it doesn't support 333 ddr ram

I'm assuming that I can use KINGSTON 512MB DDRAM PC2100 NON ECC CL2.5.

Any other motherboards I should look at?

*thinks* here soon they'll have new motherboards that will have 8x agp slots. as soon as i upgrade i'll have a dinosaur....lol

Cool Cool

Here's my new setup so far.

Soyo Dragon (not the plus)
Athlon XP 2000+ (think Thermaltake Volcano 7)
3 KINGSTON 512MB DDRAM PC2100 NON ECC CL2.5
2 IBM 120 GB 7200 RPM 120GPX
Asus Geforce 3 Ti500 (w/ Thermaltake Crystal Orb)
SB Audigy Platinum w/ S4 Midiland 8200 speakers
Antec SX1240 case (modified)
Network Card and Modem
Yamaha 20x10x40
Liteon 10x DVD
250 MB Zip Drive

Also I have NEVER had a problem with Via, Nvidia and SB like others have. :D

wow, that's a lot of machine man. I'm jealous. What kind of Graphics card are you looking at?

Asus Geforce 3 Ti500 ( w/ Thermaltake Crystal Orb)

I heard that IBM harddrives kickass.

I think I'm going to get this ram instead.

KINGSTON KVR266X64C25/512 512MB DDR PC2100 - 32x64 NANYA CHIPSET.

Ditch the Thermaltake cooler heard some bad stuff about it. Go with the Thermalright SK-6. Can't say enough about it. :D

Actually I think I'm going to get the Swiftech MCXC370. Read a review. Said it was a good buy and performs excellent.

be careful with 3 sticks,from what i have read many of the ddr boards get unstable with three mem slots filled,i'd check around first

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back