Which IM do you use?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by SPeedY_B, Mar 13, 2005.

?
  1. MSN Messenger

44 vote(s)
    74.6%
  2. Yahoo! Messenger

20 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. Jabber

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. AOL Instant Messenger (Network)

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  5. .mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  7. Skype

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  8. Other (Specify in thread)

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  9. ICQ

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  10. None

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

It's been done before, however I thought with recent discussion regarding the AiM network, that I'd bring it up again :)

Just vote on all the IM apps/protocols which you use (not your favourite :))

2. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Skype,all the rest have been removed from the pc :classic:

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

MSNM, Skype, Jabber and AIM.
    Hoping I get can enough people to dump AIM this time so that I don't have to use it anymore. ;)

4. SPeedY_B

Heh, easier said than done, unfortunately others aren't as easy to convince, so I need to keep other apps at the moment :D

Looking at my AiM list, I really don't think I need to keep it at the moment, the majority can be reached over IRC and MSNM. *closes iChat*

5. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

AIM and MSN messenger :).

6. NetRyder

I envy you. :p

7. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I use Y!, MSN, and AIM(trying not to), and ICQ(only a few people)

8. Evil Marge

Tell them if they want to contact you they gotta do it through Skype or not at all,tis what I did now everyones on it :laugh:

9. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

O.K. I have MSN messenger installed, so I didn't put that as I use it for mail only.

If I was a fan of chat, voice chat or video chat then it would be 'Yahelite'.

I have tried Yahoo Messenger, that's a target for booters, tried A.O.L. messenger to use in a A.O.L. chat arena, those people were ruder than me, as for the language geee it was rude, used I.C.Q. in 1998, no comment, I.R.C. a very, very, very, very long time ago.

I am going to ditch messenger soon anyway, so there wil be one less messenger on my P.C. it's count will be zero.

10. SPeedY_B

Hehe, fortunately roles in the UK seem to be reversed to those in the U.S. (much like you mentioned in India) I actually don't know a single person over here who uses AiM, everyone simply uses MSN because it comes with Windows, and the Mac users I know use MSN because everyone else does (that, and AiM 'comes with' OS X, so no one can be bothered :p)

Fortunately the only people I really talk to, are on IRC, proper IM's are used for idle banter and silly chat. Will be nice when everyone uses Skype though (their world domination is coming... trust me :p)

but they can just turn round and say "well if you want to contact ME, you have to use MSN!" ... so it doesn't always work :p

11. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

MSNM, Trillian and IRC. Not heard of Skype :blink:

12. SPeedY_B

13. Evil Marge

Well then you say "Well I guess this is goodbye cause I ain't got MSN on my pc" :laugh:

14. Jewelzz

Well, I don't have a home phone (only my cell) and it seems it was based on the notition of cutting down on phone bills *shrug*

15. SPeedY_B

it's likely I'd be talking to them via msn to tell them that though :p

16. NetRyder

Jewelzz, most people use it for voice conversations, for which Skype undoubtedly has the best quality. But it can be used just like a regular IM client to send messages (upto 50 contacts in a single conversation) and transfer files. :)

17. Jewelzz

So I've read NetRyder, thanks. Although I have many contacts on MSNM, I think there's only 1 person I actually chat with. Like SPeedY_B, what little chatting I do, is on IRC. Don't think I'll download another chat program when I hardly use the 2 I have (although I'm always online).

18. Evil Marge

It's really along the same lines as msn etc but you can use it with a phone :) I don't know anyone who does though.

19. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

I've been wanting to try Skype for ages (in fact, ever since it was beta :p), and I was listening to Adam Curry the other day (wee, finally caught up with podcasting :p), and he was praising it quite a lot.

I'll definitely check it out as my dad goes to States quite often at the moment, and reading people's comments on voice quality really makes we want to try it.

edit: Oh yes, the only real IM I use is MSNM, and I never got into IRC (even with #osnn and all that). I also sometimes use Yahoo because sometimes it gets better voice and video quality than MSNM, and it can work past firewalls and routers.

20. electrickpirate

electrickpirate pirate extraordinaire

Trillian Pro 3 for MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and AIM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.