Which do you use?

Actually, AMD has considered selling the Athlon64 CPU if it's bundled with a mobo to reduce shortage of supplies. :p

Certain Dell models (i.e. GX-110 tower) even has a sensor to
make the BIOS report the case has been opened.

All Dells have this. It is not to tell them that you have opened it. The switch actually works with a program Dell offers called "Dell Open Manage." It's an inventory program similar to Microsoft's SMS. The notice is for asset management. It lets you know if someone has opened the case so that you can verify that nothing was removed.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
All Dells have this. It is not to tell them that you have opened it. The switch actually works with a program Dell offers called "Dell Open Manage." It's an inventory program similar to Microsoft's SMS. The notice is for asset management. It lets you know if someone has opened the case so that you can verify that nothing was removed.

yup... pretty much the same way I and many others who have decent cases/mobo's can configure the intrusion alarm or message to display upon unauthorised entry in the computer case... I know I have my case set to that :) coz I keep forgettng to turn it off everytime I go inside my case lol...

I am actually building my file server .. and I would'nt take an alienware system if it was given to me - they are over hyped and over priced ..

Agreed, far far too expensive. You can make exactly the same spec for about a third cheaper.

A company that make "the ultimate gamers computers", theyre overpriced and overrated.

This vote is going very slow in the past few days.
Where are you people? :p

Yea, you can just make an alienware yourself for like half the price with a stylish tower case too :).. nice idea to do ;)

Just wish i had all the money to do it with :(

Originally posted by ming
This vote is going very slow in the past few days.
Where are you people? :p
a lot of people join the forums to ask their questions and then leave. they do nothing else here.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1

K...........
I got this from "Neil Lawlor" from Dell Technical support. (Just passing it on ;))

He says the sensor isn't there to help users track their hardware (although software does read it for this purpose)
It's there so DELL don't get stiffed when they sell systems with onsite support.
He claims it's easier than getting into a calling match with the owner. Most users have no idea of this setting, thus red faces when the "DELL-man" proves the kit in the box ain't the same as the stuff they sold.

Hell maybe you're both right...... seems daft to me if you can reset via the BIOS the switch is more or less rendered useless, as this can be reset even after peripheral removal. Either legit or theft.

There is a warning flashed after the POST too, not just in a Windows environment.

Oh Yeah.....and if you need this to know if something has been removed from the system, then I suggest a change of neighbourhood and some new door locks. Possibly some new "trustworthy" friends too. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back