Which CPU

kreation

OSNN Junior Addict
I will be building a new rig soon, but I am a bit confused as to which CPU to go for.

I will be using an Asus A7N8X deluxe Mobo, and want to get the best performace possible without overclocking.

My 3 choices so far are AthlonXP 2500+ 2700+ and 2800+

But I have a few questions.

Is the 2800+ worth paying an extra £80 for above the 2500+?

Does the extra Cache on the Barton CPU's mean that a 2500+ would beat a 2700+, or is the extra Cache not that important?

How much difference does the 333 FSB make compared to a 233 FSB CPU?

Basically what I'm looking for is the absolute best CPU for no more than £200.

Any comments/suggestions would be cool.

Many thanks.

just some pointers...

a 2700+ will still beat a 2500+. that's what the performance ratings indicate... raw speed. the cache and bus speed are already taken into account. that's why the 2400+ is 2ghz and the 2500+ is 1.83ghz.. but the 2500+ is faster because of it's increased bus and cache.

also, a faster bus speed is always better because at 333fsb, you can run your memory syncronously (333mhz) and get the best performance. a 333 chip with 333 memory will easily beat a 266 chip with 400 memory.

hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back