Where to buy dual-layer DVDs?

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good place online to buy blank dual-layer DVDs in the UK? What do people prefer, -R or +R?

I think dual-layer media are only available in +R format. Also, they're more expensive than buying two single layer discs, not to mention slightly lower capacity too.

Capacities are identical. You can only get 4.2GB of data onto a single layer. You can get ~8.4 on a dual layer.

I cannot find any for a reasonable price anywhere. Some are over £40 for 5! Does anyone here actually use dual layer discs?

10 for £20 on bigpockets is the cheapest i can find.

There are dual layer -r on there too but they are over £4 a disk !!!!!

dual-layer is expensive its like £5 per disc and it just gets more insane the more you want.

I can't believe these things are so expensive still, I hope the price comes down as more people use them. Sadly, I think many people are content with squeezing 2-3 hour pirate movies onto 2 hour discs, which means the prices for dual-layer discs aren't going to drop anytime soon. I didn't want to buy a single layer DVD writer so I waited patiently for the dual-layer writers to drop to a decent price and now I realise the dual-layer discs are still extortionately priced! I'll just have to use twice as many single layer discs for a while :)

The prices are insane...I can pick up a nice Dual layer writer for $99 but the disks and around $7-9 a pop. Way too expensive.

$99? hell, i got my Lite-On 16x dual-layer DVD+/-RW drive for like $50ish. what'd u buy? a 16x plextor SATA DVD+/-RW DL?

I want my future disc drive to be SATA/2. Want to get rid of IDE connection. :p

ElementalDragon said:
$99? hell, i got my Lite-On 16x dual-layer DVD+/-RW drive for like $50ish. what'd u buy? a 16x plextor SATA DVD+/-RW DL?

The closest I can find to a dual-layer drive around here for under $99 is a Memorex ($99 w/$30 mir)--I don't care for MIR and I don't like memorex products so that's a wash.

hmm, since this was said in here(thnx ming), are they going to phase out IDE and move everything to sata?
btw, if you are using dual layer for dvd9 *backups* you might as well pay for another copy of the movie and get the artwork :)

eeh..... who needs the "artwork" for the "backups"? that's what permanent marker is for. Permanent marker, and 100 8x DVD-R's that i got at the computer show for like $37 i think...... not too shabby.

ElementalDragon said:
eeh..... who needs the "artwork" for the "backups"? that's what permanent marker is for. Permanent marker, and 100 8x DVD-R's that i got at the computer show for like $37 i think...... not too shabby.
Eek, if you value the data on your DVD's don't use permant markers, use pens that are specifically made for writting on discs. :)

uuh....... ok..... 0.o i've never had any problems with data loss/corruption when i used a permanent marker. i've ALWAYS used permanent markers, ever since i had my first CD-RW drive (which was when they were still at like 8x recording speed), and even some of those discs still work, that i can find.

ElementalDragon said:
u bought it retail?
I never said I bought one at all, I said 'I can pick up a good one for...'. Waste of money for me as I cannot afford the disks. I am looking at a lightscribe--snazzy. But that's not dual-layer. :)

You can get a lite-on and other brand dual layer for $50 after rebates. You have to check the weekend sale ads at Best buy, office depot, office max, circuit city, etc.

Online prices run higher than local sales.

Lee, i dunno bout you, but i usually see drives a LOT cheaper online than i do in retail stores. browse around on Newegg.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back