Where to Buy Cheap, Cheap PCs?

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by vern, Dec 7, 2006.

1. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I need a really cheap PC to play around with. It doesn't need the best of the best. I'll probably only access it via console. I've looked at eBay, but haven't seen any great deals yet. Anyone know of a place that sells surplus PCs but don't require you to buy in bulk?

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I find it best to keep an ear out for someone upgrading, just try to get there old PC. If not you may be able to find one at a thrift store.

May I ask what you're doing with it?

3. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

What sort of specs? PIII? P4? what? Or at least equivelant of what? I work for Directron.com and we do a lot of work for some school districts, and we buy back their old computers to sell off. A lot of PIII, 667, 733,933 machines around there. Not to mention I might have pretty much all the parts for a spare machine.

4. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

www.SlycePC.com :)
    Thats my site :)
    Or if you want cheap.
    How bout TigerDirect.
    This week they have a 299 dollar p4 with 512mb mem, 160gb sataII, etc.
    Its a really nice computer for the price.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem1254.asp?CMP=ILC-FPM01

5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

6. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I'm looking for something around the 1-2GHz range, 256-512MB ram. Video can be integrated, sound isn't important. IDE support ... SATA isn't required. Must have a NIC ... or a PCI slot so I can install a NIC. I don't need a monitor. Was looking at directron ... that 933MHz PC might work out. A little more processing power would be nice, but not required.

I also don't want emulation of any kind as this will eventually become a personal file server once I get done testing out what I want. I already have a file server running Slackware that has a bit over a terrabyte of data storage ... I just need another one, and while I'm at it ... try out something new.

7. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

IM serious my friend, grab the one off tiger direct.

8. GhoulScout

GhoulScout OSNN Addict

you should check out Fry's they have a "great quality" PC for under 200 last i checked, very cheap components but it works.

9. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Well, Directron.com still has used systems. They might even have PIII 1.0ghz + systems there for around $100