Where is the pagefile???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Delta Phoenix, Apr 8, 2002.

1. I use Norton Speed Disk to optimize my hard drive but lately it hasn't been placing the pagefile at the front of the hard drive. I e-mailed Symantec about it and they said that I could put the pagefile in the "Files to place first" section. I was going to do that but I can't seem to find the pagefile. I've searched many times for it but it won't show up. I get lots of system files returned in the search but none of them are the pagefile. Where could it be???

2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

page file is located in c:\ and is named pagefile.sys

best thing to do is to disable your pagefile..delete pagefile.sys then completely defrag your drive and re-create pagefile.

3. Hidden?

Is pagefile.sys visible in explorer or do I have to delete it in DOS? I have my folders set to show hidden files but I don't see pagefile.sys in C:\

4. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

The pagefile will be hidden because it is a system file, and by default XP hides system files and folders.

Just goto folder options and tick show system files.

stuy_b

5. It's already checked and I don't see pagefile.sys anywhere.

6. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

um are you sure you have virtual memory enabled then? make sure you have show hidden files and folders...and uncheck the other option that says hide protected operating system files..if it still doesn't come up...disable virtual memory...drfrag, then re-enable

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Wouldn't that put the pagefile more towards the end of the disc instead of the front?

8. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

disabling, defragging and then recreating the pagefile is a great way to get it to create as one large file... instead of fragmented all over your drive... position on the drive isn't crucial as it's not assinged to the beginning of the drive anyway unless you're using some kind of third party software (which 'advertises' a performance boost for doing it but is actually negligable).

9. allan

allan Guest

And making it static (same size min & max) vs. dyanamic (managed by windows) will keep it from becoming overly fragmented.