Where is the pagefile???

• Thread starter Delta Phoenix
  • Start date
D

Delta Phoenix

I use Norton Speed Disk to optimize my hard drive but lately it hasn't been placing the pagefile at the front of the hard drive. I e-mailed Symantec about it and they said that I could put the pagefile in the "Files to place first" section. I was going to do that but I can't seem to find the pagefile. I've searched many times for it but it won't show up. I get lots of system files returned in the search but none of them are the pagefile. Where could it be???

page file is located in c:\ and is named pagefile.sys

best thing to do is to disable your pagefile..delete pagefile.sys then completely defrag your drive and re-create pagefile.

Hidden?

Is pagefile.sys visible in explorer or do I have to delete it in DOS? I have my folders set to show hidden files but I don't see pagefile.sys in C:\

The pagefile will be hidden because it is a system file, and by default XP hides system files and folders.

Just goto folder options and tick show system files.

stuy_b

It's already checked and I don't see pagefile.sys anywhere.

um are you sure you have virtual memory enabled then? make sure you have show hidden files and folders...and uncheck the other option that says hide protected operating system files..if it still doesn't come up...disable virtual memory...drfrag, then re-enable

Originally posted by Qumahlin
best thing to do is to disable your pagefile..delete pagefile.sys then completely defrag your drive and re-create pagefile.
Wouldn't that put the pagefile more towards the end of the disc instead of the front?

disabling, defragging and then recreating the pagefile is a great way to get it to create as one large file... instead of fragmented all over your drive... position on the drive isn't crucial as it's not assinged to the beginning of the drive anyway unless you're using some kind of third party software (which 'advertises' a performance boost for doing it but is actually negligable).

And making it static (same size min & max) vs. dyanamic (managed by windows) will keep it from becoming overly fragmented.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back