Where has my harddrive space gone?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Guybrush, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Guybrush

Guybrush Village Idiot

I have an old computer running Windows 98 which I use for running older games etc.

The problem I have now is that my hard drive was 20gig to begin with and now it says it has only a 2gig hdd installed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

hmm... has it always said there was only a 2GB hard drive? if it did, maybe the last time you formatted the hard drive, you accidentally made it a FAT partition instead of FAT32.

3. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

I would think that maybe you installed FAT partition, instead of FAT 32, or NTFS.

I know of some viruses that do that, so scan for them, but, I think it might be the first reason.

4. Bob S

Bob S Guest

Nick M is right, but so not to confuse...you cannot format NTFS for W'98.

5. Trinity

Trinity Guest

Make a '98 startup disk and be sure to copy fdisk to it (I can't remember if it puts it on automatically), boot your computer off the floppy disk, run fdisk and choose option 4 I believe, to view partition information. That should give you an idea of what's going on, check to see if it's using FAT32 the old FAT16 had a 2GB partition limitation.

6. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

That's correct. If you get to the command prompt with the boot disk, type in A: fdisk, then you can see what's the matter :)

7. Guybrush

Guybrush Village Idiot

Thanks for all replies, it was FAT 16, all is well now. Thanks again. :)