Where can I get hex edit from?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bhawk_60, Apr 23, 2002.

1. bhawk_60

bhawk_60 Guest

Does anyone know where I can get the hex edit program from?
    Someone put a link on here a while ago but it is dead now. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me.

2. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

What do you mean Hex Editor?

You mean ResHAcker?

3. bhawk_60

bhawk_60 Guest

I'm not real sure what I mean? I'm new to xp and I am trying to edit the uxtheme.dll so I can use themes that I downlaod from the net without buying stylesxp. I read a thread a while ago that gave directions on how to do this and it said I needed a hex editer but the link to it was dead. So if you can help Thanks

4. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

Not sure, give me the link to this post and I'll figure it out.

5. bhawk_60

bhawk_60 Guest

6. silent_bob

silent_bob Guest

ur after a hex editor. u can get one from most good d/l sites like cnet and tucows.

7. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

Yeah what he said...lol

8. bhawk_60

bhawk_60 Guest

OK I got a hex editor. Now it says to backup Uxtheme.dll to Uxtheme.000 how should i do this? Also it says reboot in safe mode how should I do this? Maybe I just shouldnt mess with this I'll probably break something huh? Thanks again

9. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

What it means is to boot your computer into Safe Mode, make a copy of uxtheme.dll, and rename it to uxtheme.000

10. AndyP

AndyP OSNN Senior Addict

Ok, so you all know. I've updated the link with a new hex-editor and given you info about how to get xp into safe-mode. So hopefully there will be less problems :)

11. boxman

boxman Guest

12. bhawk_60

bhawk_60 Guest

I wish I would have know that before I broke my computer:( Now I can't rn explorer.exe because it says uxtheme.dll cant be found but I know for a fact it is there cause i put it there. Also they dont give you the xp disk when you buy a new computer so I can't reinstall. Any solutions for a dumb kid like me?

13. boxman

boxman Guest

You try safe mode?

14. bhawk_60

bhawk_60 Guest

yeah I tryed safe mode and everything esle I knew how to do. But in the end I just bought xp professional (I was using xp home) and it fixed my computer. O yeah I payed $5 for professional:D