Where are e-mail files?

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by David_L6, Dec 26, 2008.

1. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

What is the suffix for e-mail files in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007? When I used Outlook Express I could do a search for .dbx files and find them. Anyone know what to search for when using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007?

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

.pst - depends on what os your using too, easiest way to find them is to got to control panel (if 64bit select view 32bit control panel items) mail, and click data files, will show you the location of your files

default location on vista is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

not too sure on xp as memory isnt as good as it was

C:\documents and settings\username\Application Data\Local\Microsoft\Outlook - or something like that

3. bmclaughlin807

bmclaughlin807 Let's blow something up. Political User

You got local and application data backwards...

And I think it's 'local settings'

c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application data\Microsoft\Outlook I believe. (Oh... and local settings is a hidden folder)

4. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

i did say i want sure as i haven't used xp in a while, did you read that bit ?

5. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

OS is XP Pro 32 bit BTW.

I found the .pst file by both the method posted above and through a search. It's one file though. I was hoping to find the files like they show up with Outlook Express (.dbx files)..... (inbox, sent, deleted, etc.) I guess that's not possible.

Thanks a lot for the help.

6. trukkmann

trukkmann OSNN Addict

You should be able to export them from Outlook to .eml format if all else fails.

7. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

You can export directly to .pst and then import them again, no need to use .eml if going to be using Outlook again.