When i switch users in XP pro it shuts down

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by canadian_divx, Apr 28, 2004.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

i am stumped on this one. when i tell windows to switch users the HDD powers down. when i log off and go into a new user it works fine.

there is nothing in the bios to shutdown the HDD, and services have not been changed in xp, i hvae done a repair, a format and reinstall,
    is it possable that the motherboard is messed????

any other ideas,

all tests were done in a controled enviroment and the PSU tests ok, and it was just with windows and updates no other software, no viruses or anything

any ideas????
  2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

NY, USA
    Well if it only happens when you try and switch users w/out logging off it shouldn't be hardware related so you can rule that out. I would look @ user settings perhaps. At what point during the switch does this happen? Is it as soon as you hit switch users or after you choose another user? Perhaps a corrupted user profile? Anyhoo I'm sure someone will come on in with an answer that'll help. :)
  3. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

it happens when i pick a new user and when i am logging into t hat user it shuts down the HDD, nothing else i just hear teh HDD spin down, not even on a restart does it spinn down,