Today I completed an on-line registration form, which was on the face of it simple to complete. As with most things these days the usual fields were present like first name, last name, country and all the usual things. However I have upgraded from an old Microsoft (ergonomic) mouse to a new version with a wheel installed in the middle. I like this as it enables you to scroll through an MS Word document (whilst selecting text) without whizzing through the whole document and back again when you only want to select the last line of one page and the first of the next. However after completing this on-line registration document whilst using my mouse wheel I now find that I live in India and not only that all the fields on the form where multiple selections (list boxes) were available were altered by the wheel mouse. This of course was because the focus remained in the various list boxes until I clicked on the next item using the wheel mouse to move down the form. I then had the message that the “zip code” was incorrect. Here in the UK this is called the “post code” but even when I changed all the information to the correct values an error message indicating that the code was incorrect still remained stopping me from moving to the next step in the registration process. In the end I gave up. It’s nearly Christmas so I have asked the wife to by me a mouse without a wheel until the script programmers of web pages understand about how the mouse operates within the focus property as I should not have been allowed to “wheel down” the page until the focus had moved away from the list box. A simple error that cost the company concerned a sale.