What's the fastest CPU for MSI K7T266 Pro??

messymutty

OSNN One Post Wonder
Need to upgrade my mobo. In manual it says CPU from 0.6 - 1.4 GHz, I know it can do better.

On MSI's pages:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=27

.. they have "verified" it for up to Palomino 2000+ (266
MHz FSB), however they Thoroughbred 2000+ (also 266 MHz FSB but 0.13 micron process instead of 0.18) is not ok.

The settings they used for testing was "auto".

With all the overclocking features of this board and the ami bios, I'm sure it's possible to come higher than 2000+? And in case it isn't, can anyone explain why the Palomino works (hard to get hold on now) but not the Thoroughbread (cuz I got a T-bred 2000+ in another 'puter I could use and then upgrade that one).

Any comments welcome :)

Its probably a limitation on the clock chip that sets the frequency to the CPU. the 266 is an ancient chipset. I had a KT333 MB and it wouldn't go above 2 gig either.

The KT333a and KT400 are limited also, just not as badly.

Just for reference the KT266 chipset is now about 6 generations out of date:
266a
333a

They probably are not putting out bios updates to recognize the new cpu multiplier settings either. Again, probably because the hardware won't support it. When they went over ~2200 they had to go to a 5 bit multiplier, old boards used 4 bit. Also the older chipsets will not support the 166/333 FSB which is also needed to get above 2200.

The solution is to go out and get a cheap POS MB using the NF2 Ultra. Then you can go up to 3200 w/400mhz ram.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back