What's the fastest computer you've used?

we have a quad cpu fedora server machine at uni, not sure about the make of cpu or the amount of ram though

Dell server, school has 6 :eek:
1) Server 1
2) Server 2
3) File server
4) intranet
5) squid (proxy)
6) censor net (web filter)

aprox 200 connections, they all have realvnc running - goes to a maaasive 30" screen in server room to admins can spy at random on people (screen refreshes every 5 seconds to bring up 4 more pc desktops ;) :eek:

duel Xeon processors 3.4GHz
20Gb ddr
~3TB total server storage :eek:

Henyman said:
Dell server, school has 6 :eek:
1) Server 1
2) Server 2
3) File server
4) intranet
5) squid (proxy)
6) censor net (web filter)

aprox 200 connections, they all have realvnc running - goes to a maaasive 30" screen in server room to admins can spy at random on people (screen refreshes every 5 seconds to bring up 4 more pc desktops ;) :eek:

duel Xeon processors 3.4GHz
20Gb ddr
~3TB total server storage :eek:
Holy crap...now that's something.
blink.gif

upgraded it all last year ;)

ordered 6X brand new servers......as well as an 8mb line :eek:

had a new server room custom built, it is dam sweet. pity i finished 6th form as they just put it in :(

IBM z990 here

As of today I telnet through to my account on this brand new box -

in addition to 64 GB memory this beast had 32 MB cache! it is fast enough to support all the corporate useage, weighs in at a few thousand pounds weight and costs about $125,000 at entry level :eek:

P4 2.8 @ uni....
hoping to get meself an AMD3500+ (winchester) in xmas.

I just built mine. P4 550 3.4Ghz HT, Intel 915PBLL MB, 1GB OCZ DDR2 533Mhz, 2 160GB Maxtor Sata's RAID 0, 2 200GB ATA133, 2 160GB ATA133, Radeon XT 600 PCI-Express Video Card, Hauppauge PVR-250 TV Tuner, Sony 16X DVD-ROM, Sony Dual Layer DVD Burner. So this is the fastest I have used. I want to put another 1GB of DDR2 533Mhz in it.

leencaci

Amd 64bit 3200+ i think i know its a low 3000

Mainframeguy said:
As of today I telnet through to my account on this brand new box -

in addition to 64 GB memory this beast had 32 MB cache! it is fast enough to support all the corporate useage, weighs in at a few thousand pounds weight and costs about $125,000 at entry level :eek:
I knew someone would come and kick everybody else's ass. I think that's going to be hard to beat now.
grin.gif

NetRyder said:
I knew someone would come and kick everybody else's ass. I think that's going to be hard to beat now.
grin.gif

awww... yeah, but I only have access to about five of the O/S'es it is simultaneously hosting ;) So since it hosts like about twenty you could score me at 25% of the machine?

Anyway I honestly want someone else to show something better.... we must have ONE OSNN member from CERN? Or NASA??!! .... /me waits and dreams of massively parallel computers!

Mainframeguy said:
I think SITTING on it is not quite USING it?!!
Yes it is. Just not for computing... :p

The new Sun servers are much faster anyway, I don't have the specs but most of them are quad cpu with 4GB ram. Sadly any user process is only allowed 25% of one cpu at a time.

I haven't used a machine anywhere near the speed's some have posted here...:eek:

Mainframeguy said:
we must have ONE OSNN member from CERN? Or NASA??!! .... /me waits and dreams of massively parallel computers!
Man, can you imagine the power of the NASA SGI supercomputer? 10,240 Intel Itanium 2 processors!
w00t.gif

Currently running:
26 Dell 2650's dual xeaon 3.2 (with fiber channel QLogic cards)
1 6650 (web application server)
1 CX500 SAN with 3 tb of space
2 Brocade switches (for SAN)
2 gigs of ram in each server...

All of this for one application :)

Mainframeguy: Zedric is right. he wasn't computing with it, but he was USING it as a sofa. :)

netryder:
the cray I used was at environment canada (my dad works there). They rent their supercomputers so when they were replacing the cray they kept it while getting the new one up and running so it had a LOT of idle time. My dad brought me into to his office one night and I got to play a flight sim on a cray. It was fun as hell!!! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back