What's the difference?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ming, May 4, 2004.

1. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Difference between a DVi monitor and a VGA monitor?
    Any major differences that is noticable to the eye??

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

DVI is digital, much crisper and vivid image, but you need a DVI output on your graphics card to use them, which can be rather costly. I'd use VGA for CRT monitors, but I'd never use it for TFT, DVI all the way for the new stuff :)

Just for good measure, have some generic explanations:

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

....ok... my Video card has an output for DVI. but.... my LCD has a normal old VGA plug. ..... i'm guessing that if i use the DVI to VGA converter thingy that came with it, i won't get any improvement. am i right, or no?

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Same with my GFX cards. No point in using the converter since you will not get any improvements on your existing analogue TFT monitor.
    But Speedy, you still haven't said anything about whether one will notice a major difference between the two. :)

5. SPeedY_B

Plenty of people happily use TFT's via VGA connections, It's usually cheaper and for most people no extra hardware needs to be purchased, however some say that the image produced is fuzzy, unclear or leaves edges of items "jagged". I suppose it depends how picky you are about these sort of things.

I've only ever experienced using a TFT on VGA for a short period of time (I'm lucky enough to have 2 digital outs on my card) whilst using my sisters computer to play UT, and in all honesty, the image was fine, that was on a Dell 18.1" TFT, and I could of happily used it all day :) so in my opinion, it doesn't make any (major) difference, however my personal experience is limited.

6. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

To see the difference put your VGA CRT/LCD next to SPeedY's DVI Apple Cinema. :) They are godly .. /me wants

7. SPeedY_B

Wouldn't be a fair comparison :p

8. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

One point no-one has mentioned - I have found my DVI connection is great, but when I wish to go into BIOS I have to use the VGA or the display is all over the place - do not believe this is down to my VGA cards either since it happened both with my Nvidia and now with my Radeon. My solution is to have both plugged in since my monitor has both sockets and my card also...

[EDIT] Symptoms with DVI on BIOS screens are scrolling, diagonal, flicker, partial screen.... IE you might be able to see what you need, and you might not.... makes it tricky if you're trying to select a mode, use recovery console, etc etc unless oyu know the keystrokes by heart![/EDIT]

9. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Hmm.. I've resisted getting a TFT monitor with the extra DVI cable connection. Maybe it's time to check one out. :)
    I have doubts that it'll make a major difference to me, but worth a shot I guess.

10. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

You may also get me one as well ... for testing purposes of course. :D