Whats better Nvidia 5950, 6800 or ATI 9800 pro or XT?

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Ok going to buy one of the above, also need to know 3 of the best manufacturers for the cards.

Thanks

The 6800 by far, whether its be the plain, GT or ultra version, will kick all those three cards. And the plain 6800 is probably cheaper than a 5950 or a 9800xt too.

I'd say 6800 based on the fact it comes with dual dvi as standard (or so it seems from my research on the ultra models). Having not used one yet i cant base that statement on experiance.

Having said that my 9800 pro doesn't have many games it cant play at max detail at 1600x1200...

go for the 6800 and when you say 6800 and looking at your other options you mean the 6800 non gt non ultra...

also (this will be tricky and there is no assurance it will work) some regular 6800s come with the other 4 pixel pipelines (12 instead 16) not broken so you can re enable them with a softmod with the newest riva tuner available, so that you will have the same pixel pipelines as the GT and Ultra

if you need further info PM or post here and I can find the links for you to read up on it

lancer said:
Ok going to buy one of the above, also need to know 3 of the best manufacturers for the cards.

Thanks

the 6800...

its generally faster than the others and also has better 'nix performance if that floats your boat...

pretty much all the manufacturers follow the base/default design and use the reference model... there should be no difference in quality/performance between them, only the package/price should change...

Tuffgong4 said:
go for the 6800 and when you say 6800 and looking at your other options you mean the 6800 non gt non ultra...

also (this will be tricky and there is no assurance it will work) some regular 6800s come with the other 4 pixel pipelines (12 instead 16) not broken so you can re enable them with a softmod with the newest riva tuner available, so that you will have the same pixel pipelines as the GT and Ultra

if you need further info PM or post here and I can find the links for you to read up on it
do you know which particalur 6800 models have this, plus by re-enabling the pipelines, will this cause any damage or risk of damage to the card.

Thanks

Those "disabled feature" deals usually only occur for a limited, early manufacturing run. By the time they become general knowledge the hacks get removed. Don't expect to get a card that can be modified.

As for brands to buy. The more you pay, generally the better the RAM chips and quality of the assembly also, the cooling solution may be better. All the cards will work out of the box but low end brands like PNY tend to die sooner. I also avoid Gainward, they make good cards but they like to factory overclock them which has not worked out well for me and my buddies with Nvidia GPUs.

Definitely the 6800, it performs better overall compared to the 9800XT and the 5950. As far as unlocking the extra 4 pipes, I've heard that the 6800 regular cards are not a good idea to try this on. But they do overclock nicely.

And yes, you can damage as well as void the cards warrenty by overclocking or unlocking the pipelines.

Nvidia Geforce 6800gt!!! Not only it can be overclocked to and beyond the ultra specs, It has the full 16 pipes :)

Well for the price I guess depends on the $

Cant compare a 200$ card to a 450$ or a 600$ just dont make sense

For less than $200 the ATI 9800 PRO is a killer card

At this point the 6800 GT out of those cards lists is the highest benchmarking cards, as far as brands go, you could go with a BFG(which comes overclocked 20Mhz) which is not much but it still holds a lifetime warrenty. Asus is also a good card maker, and as far as the last I would say PNY, I think the BFG comes with that worst software bundle but its worh the 20Mhz and warrenty :D

Might want to look at this as wellBenchmark

Hope that helps you

FishBoy said:
these nokias sucks, go for the better product ATI

This has to be the most baseless statement I've ever seen.

The nVidia cards seem to perform very well in DOOM III, as well as some other games, and the ATi cards seem to perform well in other games. Either way, whichever way you go, you'll be good. I'm an ATi kind of guy, but out of all of these cards, I'd go for the 6800.

there all good cards but what matters is what you can afford and what you are planing on doing. I before Nvidia myself but ATi are just good

diffently the 6800. I have a gt and it's the best investment i put in my computer yet. and i f your going for the 6800 get the gt there isn't a whole lot of differece between the gt and the ultra. and if you want the ultra performance just overclock the gt. Hope this helps:)

i'd say the 6800 as well.. I bought an eVGA 6800 Limited Edition.. not to be confused with the 6800LE .. it is a clocked down 6800 Ultra on an Ultra PCB with an Ultra chip.. stock speed is 325 core 1100 mem.. all pipes and vertex shaders unlocked.. I found a modded evga GT bios that i'm running on this card now.. and i get 11926 3dmark03 score at 425 core 1200 mem no artifacts..

even the plain vanilla 6800 has steller Doom3 performance.. and i think the Doom3 engine will be the engine of choice for future games.. so keep that in mind..

That review is completely outrageous though. It's like comparing a Porshe GT2 to a Kia Sorento or something. For starters .The 9800 Pro is a former reigning card. I can see that the review is to show the difference. BUT you're comparing a card that costs $200 (9800Pro) and $200 is pushing it now, to a $500-$600 card. That would be like a review of an Ati X800XT-PE with a FX5900. Or something like that.

Either way it's out there. The 6800 is a good card for the price. I purchased an X800Pro with VIVO and OCed it to XT-PE speeds. So I'm happy. :)

Yes people compare apples to oranges and say hey my apple is a better apple!!!

Its gets on my nerves after a while , The 9800 pro for the price we can get it today is an amazing card. Then there is other cards that are much more $$ and those are nice too but its not about whats better its about $ to performance ratio and when you get into that your gonna see no card is worth 600$ US its outrageous , when those cards come down to 200$ then they are worth buying not a moment sooner.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back