What time does your day begin?

i started @ 6:30 this mornin, it's not 19:30, i worked a building site all day, i have 1 hour 2 eat + shower b4 i got 2 work ( outher job) will get home bout mignight:mad:

Originally posted by Nick M
I want to play Rugby. Rugby seems fun.

And the subject of this thread is "What time does your day begin?"

Did I miss somthing???:confused:

Originally posted by damnyank
And the subject of this thread is "What time does your day begin?"

Did I miss somthing???:confused:

:confused: Not sure. I saw Henyman post something. Then I posted something back, seeing as how Henyman plays rugby. I want to start my day by playing rugby! :p

I don't know, don't ask! :p

bleh i worked 19 hours yesterday:confused:

i now have work again + 2morrow as well:eek:

all this + i'm only 17:huh:

im up around 6:45-7:00am EST on weekdays, and school starts at 8:15, and ends 2:20 not to long of a day, but its the same old routine every day :huh:

-Bert

Well as my ass is still unemployed ( I am lossing my damn mind) since january, I start my day when I roll out of bed. :huh: :happy: :(

Originally posted by damnyank
Wake up at 2215 hrs (please note times are base on 24 hour clock so Dave Holbon does not get confused :D )

Start work processing mail on bar code sorting machine at Post Office at 2300 hrs. 2 breaks of 10 minutes each, 1/2 hour for lunch and on average 200,000 pieces of letter mail later - I get off at 0730 hrs.

One might say that I am glad to see the light of day - that means my work day is over. :cool:

Just one more weird twist - I work Saturday thru Wednesday - so Thursday and Friday are my Saturday and Sunday. When we start work 2300 hrs on Friday - we actually consider it Saturday since we go by the day we get off - of course no one working the other shifts ever know which day we are talking about!:huh: :huh:

I’ve been observing this thread for some time now and notice that people seem to be on their own “local” time schedules. For some “the weekend” occurs midweek, for others (like myself) not at all, as flexible periods of work are expected of them including adjustments to their life style and who miss-out on any sort of social life.

Traditionally people who work at times when their peers are sleeping or on a day of rest (“Christians”, Saturday and Sunday) are paid a premium like time and a half or double time to work these days. Support (computer) staff are likewise enumerated (hopefully) and it’s occurred to me that in a modern society where large Corporations have “outsourced” most of their IT, that it’s becoming the norm not to pay these staff the going rate for working unsocial hours or to pay reduced rates. This is because all the staff employed by the “outsourced” company work unsocial hours and hence are a large cost factor to the “bottom line” wage costs.

If this work was brought in-house (and thence increasing the companies involved stability and security) I wonder what the cost would be when compared to “outsourcing”.

Originally posted by Dave Holbon
I’ve been observing this thread for some time now and notice that people seem to be on their own “local” time schedules. For some “the weekend” occurs midweek, for others (like myself) not at all, as flexible periods of work are expected of them including adjustments to their life style and who miss-out on any sort of social life.

Traditionally people who work at times when their peers are sleeping or on a day of rest (“Christians”, Saturday and Sunday) are paid a premium like time and a half or double time to work these days. Support (computer) staff are likewise enumerated (hopefully) and it’s occurred to me that in a modern society where large Corporations have “outsourced” most of their IT, that it’s becoming the norm not to pay these staff the going rate for working unsocial hours or to pay reduced rates. This is because all the staff employed by the “outsourced” company work unsocial hours and hence are a large cost factor to the “bottom line” wage costs.

If this work was brought in-house (and thence increasing the companies involved stability and security) I wonder what the cost would be when compared to “outsourcing”.

Well I can tell you that for the most part it is much cheaper for a company to outsource than to have in-house. This was the reason I was laid-off. I was the only telecom tech for ALL of northern California and northern Nevada by a company called Xeta Technologies out of Oklahoma (OK). The average salary in california is about 45- 70K per year, plus they have to pay benifits, and costs. Which works out to about 55K to 95K per year per employee. If a company outsources the cost is approx 30% less per employee. The real harm comes into play for a company that outsources in that there is usually not any immediate on-demand support/repair and in the way of customers the company is not directly represented. (IE: some other name company is going to customer sites and not a actual company technitican).

While outsourcing may save a company money, it really hurts them in the long run. Take Xeta for example, they have lost 1/3rd of their customers to third-party outsourced business in Norther California alone. That is about $900,000 - $1.8 million dollars per year that they have lost. And the reason they have lost those customers is due to the fact that the customer doesn't know who Xeta is anymore. They only see the third-party.
How does this happen? It happens because too many companies are looking at the short term effects of outsourcing and not the long term effects.

(just to make sure I don't get sued, all information provided are of my own personal thoughts and views and should not be taken as fact, or used to make any decisions that an individual or a company may be considering. There is no factual data represented.)

Maveric169: -

I could not agree with you more. My company, for instance, does not have a single person qualified in IT who actually does an IT job and it employs in excess of 10k (yes ten thousand) people. From the board downwards not a single IT professional (with a relevant degree) exists.

Everything the company does IT wise is outsourced to third party companies. This is as a result of the (then) large remunerations paid to these people over the last decade and also because of the fact that this type of person was considered to be “just passing thought” and not suitable for the corporate environment i.e. they had no concept of loyalty only what would look good on their CV.

You can imagine what this had lead to; decisions on IT projects being made at the most senior levels by people (who no nothing about the subject whatsoever) having to rely on “advisors” and their own third party suppliers just to compile the specifications. This had lead to “help and support” becoming one of the vital criteria that this type of company looks for and not “does the supplied software actually work or even exist” as they are not in a position within their own company to be able to even judge this simple item. I have seen this first hand over many years.
Any executive or director of any company/corporation that can’t write a Visual Basic programme should be removed from the position of trust they currently hold.

Computers now run everything at the most basic level, how can you have a senior manager that does not have an IT qualification? Even A+ would be a start.

This is why everything to do with IT was “outsourced” in the first place (ten years ago) but it’s not the situation now. Writing a simple networked SQL backend and hand crafted front end using (say) Access is simplicity itself and not beyond the average person. So why do we still employ idiots at the top?

Tell your shareholders!!!

:) :) :)

So why do we still employ idiots at the top?

HooYa! Working for a University has its benefits... For me, it's not so much about idiots (that population is limited to my clients :))--it's the fact that the students are smarter and more creative than the sys admins these days....which is why everyone is so damn busy fixing stuff.

:confused:

Originally posted by Lighter
HooYa! Working for a University has its benefits... For me, it's not so much about idiots (that population is limited to my clients :))--it's the fact that the students are smarter and more creative than the sys admins these days....which is why everyone is so damn busy fixing stuff.

:confused:

i do give our admin a lil headache every so often:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back