What operating system is the most stable?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Tiffany, Feb 18, 2007.

?
  1. Linux

16.7%
  2. Windows XP

27.8%
  3. They are all equally stable

16.7%
  4. Windows Vista

11.1%
  5. Mac OS X

27.8%
  1. Tiffany

Tiffany Guest

Windows? Linux? Which version? I'm not a gamer.

Thanks in advance.:)

Evil Marge likes this.
  2. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

such a broad question, don't think anyone can give an answer to that, it depends on things like your hardware/drivers, software you use and level of expertise.

XP, Vista, OS X, Linux, they are all stable (well maybe excluding some linux distributions), but not for everyone.

3. Tiffany

Tiffany Guest

My hardware is in my Sig.

I read a lot of bad things about Vista.

Thanks for replying. :)

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Your computer is not sufficient enough to run Windows Vista. Assuming you've spent your computer life using Windows then I would stick with it.

As vertigo said, it really depends on not only the hardware, but the drivers you are using and software that you have running in the background (i.e. Norton, pre-installed OEM bloat, etc.).

5. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

I'd go with XP, I've used it for nearly 6 year and it's never let me down yet.

6. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Mac OS X

7. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Agreed, I've yet to have a major crash where I ended up losing valuable data. It just works.

8. Tiffany

Tiffany Guest

Thank you all for replying. :)

When I install something or change a setting on Windows XP, some other setting changes 25% of the time.

9. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I think stability in Windows really started with Windows 2000, and then XP was the greatest steps since it was meant for home and business users (whereas 2000 was more for business).

I've had OS X crash once, maybe twice, in the 3 years I've been using it (on a desktop and laptop). Based on experience I'd have to say that OS X is the most stable.

Note: I added Vista and OS X to make a more complete poll.

10. X-Istence

Ive crashed OS X doing some crazy stuff, for example, trying to write to memory I was not allowed to touch :p As a normal user I have had it crash once, when DVD Player locked up, outside of that, never crashed it unless I was doing something weird.

XP Pro is still easier to crash :p

11. muzikool

Sounds like something you'd try to do. ;)

I don't know how anyone can say Vista is the most stable at this point, but I suppose it should be an option. My main problem with threads like this is that harldy anyone voting has had experience with all of the options, so how can you really say? I've never used a flavor of Linux, so I honestly can't say that it's NOT the most stable OS out there.

12. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Vista is just as stable as XP was for me. It really depends on the drivers and software you have installed, as is the case with pretty much any OS.

*Raises hand* :)

I've used XP, Vista, a number of modern Linux distros, FreeBSD, and even Mac OS X (although briefly). Never had any stability or reliability issues with any of them, really. The reason I choose one over the rest for daily use has more to do with other factors.

I voted for the "they're all equally stable" option, by the way. At least that's been my personal experience.

13. muzikool

Yeah, you are one of the (very) few. ;)

14. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I agree with you though. A poll like this is going to be pretty skewed based on the demographic, and it's difficult to come up with an objective definition of "stability" anyway. :)

15. Tiffany

Tiffany Guest

If someone was unhappy with windows, they may go to Linux.

I geuss I should have said how many times have you reformatted your OS or repaired it. Or I should have said how many times has your OS crashed or froze.

It just occurred to me. XP has more users, so it would get more votes.

Thank you all for replying. :)

16. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Ryan, you crazy fool... I didn't even vote because I haven't used Mac OS X (besides a couple of times at a client's site). So don't give me your crap!

17. muzikool

Sorry, I'll remove the part where I specifically referred to you. :p

18. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

I remember using Photoshop on a Mac a few months ago. This was my first "OS X" crash experience. Basically, all icons stopped responding, and the friggin Photoshop icon kept on bouncing. Since I didn't know how to do the equivalent of Ctrl + Alt + Del on a Mac, I was sooo frustrated.

P.S. This was once after more than 100 hours of using it.

19. muzikool

Sounds like Photoshop froze. There is Force Quit (under the Apple), which is the same thing as ending an application or process in the Task Manager. I remember the first time I used it and the application closed immediately, I was like "yes, that's the way it should work!"

20. X-Istence

I am part of that very few! I have ran all kinds of flavors of Linux (Slackware, Ubuntu, SuSe, RedHat, CentOS), Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, OpenSolaris, Windows XP, Windows Vista and many more variations of Windows.

If I had to vote most stable operating system, I would vote FreeBSD since that keeps running for ever and ever, however that would be without a graphical user interface. Most stable and with the most software support would then be Mac OS X.