what is win xp 64 pro?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by moi4238, Apr 26, 2002.

1. moi4238

moi4238 Guest

could anybody give some infos please?

2. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

As far as I can tell its a corporate version of XP, u'd need a true 64bit PC though i think.

Its not for us consumers/home users.

3. duder

duder Guest

it was designed for the Itanium chip. Intels much maligned and over hyped "next gen chip"

4. SessedOut

SessedOut Guest

According to SmartComputing Magazine the 64-bit version, like duder wrote, is going to be run by more powerful processors like the Itanium and AMD Hammer, AFAIK. However, unless you are into heavy video producing, data crunching/compiling, or something similar, you don't need to worry about an upgrade. The reason the common user doesn't WANT 64-bit XP is because the processor (Itanium, Hammer, etc.) has to emulate 32-bit applications. Of course, this is all based on common users, but if you wanted to try it out, feel free. I actually wouldn't mind giving it a try just to see what the hell the difference is between 32 & 64-bit because honestly I have no damn idea. Hahaha.

Take care man.

5. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

very true 'sessed out' but prepare to lose your bank savings account.. u'll need new cpu, motherboard prob. memory too! thats just to try it!! lol

6. dijital

dijital Guest

yup, win xp 64 will only work if you have a 64-bit capable processor, hence intel itanium or amd's forthcoming hammer.

7. evilhomer

evilhomer Guest

amd

codename for 64-bit processor is hammer, new name: opteron or something like that.