What is the Point of "index.dat"?

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
That annoying file in Internet Explorer that generally can't be deleted, but keeps on getting larger?

I've heard some things about it, but I need a straight answer....lol.

Melon

yeah see. IE sux.. use mozilla or phoenix...

i dont know what index.dat is though

I had a program called Spider that would clean the Index.dat file.

Actually, it required a reboot, so I think it actually deleted the file and let IE create a new one.

Worked well though.

The index.dat file has actually been used as forensic evidence in various computer crime cases. PurgeIE and KMCS Deluxe Suite are two programs that will actually delete the contents of the index.dat file (upon reboot). However, both programs cost $$$.:mad:

Everyone here is on the right track, here is what they do in detail:

The Index.dat file within the Cache folder is used to contain URL names, date and time stamps, and pointers to the actual cache files which are spread among the four to eight cache sub-folders. These sub-folders are named with randomly-generated 8-character names.

The Index.dat file within the Cookie folder is used to contain URL names, date and time stamps, and pointers to the actual Cookie files which are stored within this same folder.

The Index.dat file within the upper level of the History folder is used to store 'Visited URL' names, date and time stamps. This is the data used by I.E. for its AutoComplete function and controlling the highlighting of imbedded links on the displayed Web pages.

There is one 'mshist...' file for each day of history that you have instructed I.E. to retain. The daily history is stored in the subordinate Index.dat files.

These files can be used as forensic evidence as stated earlier. You would be shocked at how esy it is for computer forensic agents to find information, the average person does not even clean there system at all. Another way to find information is in files slack. But that's beyond the scope of your topic...

Actually, you don't need those programs at all. If you are logged in as "NameX," log into the generic "Administrator" account, go into the "index.dat" of the user, and delete the files.

Nice to know that I should delete these things.

Melon

Originally posted by XPletive
I had a program called Spider that would clean the Index.dat file.

Actually, it required a reboot, so I think it actually deleted the file and let IE create a new one.

Worked well though.

This program works well for me. I still use it!

yes spider will find them all and let you delete them all........ seems to work very well.

I am going to see what happens if I set NTFS permissions to deny from all and system for these files :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back