What is the best solution?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sunny_boy_Johnn, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Hi All,

Very soon I'm moving to a new place and there I need to connect my 2 PC's together, but now the distance is more then 10 meters.
    Previously I had a cross over link with 2 NIC from 3Com .... Was working very wel.....

But now, what do I have to do? HUB?? Router?? Switch??

Whitch brand??

Greetz, Johnny :cool: :cool:

2. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

For only 2 computers u don't need any swith or hub ( over 180 meters only ! ) . I simply recommend a local area network builted with 2 Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI cards ( 10mb/s) .

3. I bought once a cross over cable of 25 m for testing and that didn't worked!! :( Cable was tested and found OK

When I then went back to the old cable (5 m ), everything was OK?

But now I need at least a cable of 10-15 m.....

Greetz, Johnny

4. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

what type of cable u use :
    BNC or UTP ?

5. What is UTP / BNC?

On the cable is CAT 5 written, is this helping You?

Greetz, Johnny

6. open_source

open_source Guest

Are you sure you know what BNC is?

7. I'm going to my bed now, it's here already 00h20....

More ideas are always welkom. :)

Thanks in advance, Johnny :cool:

8. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

i don't get it :confused: , i recommended those for a 10mb/s area network , but we must help this guy resolving his problem ..

9. open_source

open_source Guest

Crossover should still work. Make sure you are not running it too close to any electrical interferance. If you want to share internet as well as file pick yourself up a router that has a switch built into it.

10. open_source

open_source Guest

BNC connections are used for coax networks. Usually in token rings. Thjere is not a crossover coax cable.

11. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

You recommend BNC?? BNC is stone age man. Don't use it unless you really have to. Ever.

Johnny: My guess is the 25 was faulty in some way anyway. Cross-over should work up to the CAT-5 180-200 meter limit somewhere. I have seen 20m cross-over working at least.

12. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Well, I use a 15M croosover with no probs ( apart from when my 5 yr old damaged it :rolleyes: ) and use ICS to share the net.

13. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

You should keep an eye on that 5 yr old. :) Didn't he/she allready (probably) destroy the BNC cable you had before?

14. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Heh, I was actually refering to that cable. But I've seen the light now and gone Cat 5 :D