What is the best connection for a ...

P

psx2000

What is the best connection type for a Monitor or keyboard?

Do i run it thru USB or should i use the PS2 adaptor for the mouse and the USB adaptor for the keyboard?

Is there any drawbacks to using USB or the standard keyboard and mouse connector , i.e a little lag or cpu usuage ?

Thank You,
PSX2000

What is the best connection for a ...
>What is the best connection type for a Monitor or keyboard?
Whatever you have a free jack for and costs the least.

>Do i run it thru USB or should i use the PS2 adaptor for the mouse and the USB adaptor for the keyboard?
See previous comment.

>Is there any drawbacks to using USB or the standard keyboard and mouse connector , i.e a little lag or cpu usuage ?
- Yes, the USB port is bandwidth limited so if you have a scanner, web cam, etc and try using the kbd/mouse while uploading it will cause lag. Just don't use high bandwidth devices on the same port as the keyboard/mouse.

one advantage to using an optical mouse via usb rather than ps/2 is that the optical sensor will turn off when the computer is off. with a ps/2 mouse, it's always glowing.

also, usb mice inherently have a faster refresh rate (~125hz) but most ps/2 mice can be pushed to that speed through control panel anyway.

the only advantage i see to using a usb keyboard is if you get one with extra usb ports on it for easy connectivity.

I'm just guessing here..>>>> If you plugged the mouse into the USB port. Wouldn't the PC then free up IRQ12 thus giving yer ACPI bios more toys to play with? Or does Windows still need to have IRQ12 assigned even though it's not required by anything other than the PS/2 port? Some kinda emulated resource borrowing trick?

Maybe someone on a pre-ACPI BIOS could try this? To see if it free's up IRQ12 (This would prove very handy if that was the case: One more IRQ to throw that extra pesky resource hungry device.)

Personally both my keyboard and mouse (pushed to 200hz) run through USB, but that's purely down to aesthetics and native cable lengths.

The only heads-up I can give is to set the keyboard to operate via the BIOS not OS if that option is present in the BIOS settings somewhere.
If this isn't set, problems running chkdsk after a bad start, setting up windows, and diagnosing faults will all be evident without the OS being loaded, as there's no USB driver loaded until then. ;)

If you have a ltd number of USB ports reserve this for high bandwidth devices e.g. USB2.0 Flash disk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back