What is MCP?

He is maybe a related problem.

Every once in awhile my computer will freeze, nothing is movable or working on the screen, no key combos help, no nothing. Or the screen goes black, seems like it's still running but a black screen, I have to restart to get back to normal. Could this be related?

a 780i mcp temp of 70 is ok m8 and no i doubt that would cause the issues your having, no doubt you need the latest video and chipset drivers installing to get round it, and the latest bios wont go amis.

use everest ultimate edition to monitor all your temps.

He is maybe a related problem.

Every once in awhile my computer will freeze, nothing is movable or working on the screen, no key combos help, no nothing. Or the screen goes black, seems like it's still running but a black screen, I have to restart to get back to normal. Could this be related?

Has this computer always been this way? How often does it happen? Once a week...twice a month...what? Do you keep your system running all the time (not that there's anything wrong with that, so do I) and does it happen after it's been running straight without rebooting for x amount of time (days, a week, et cetera)?

Does it happen after the system has already been running for a little while and you've already started and stopped some programs (email, et cetera), or does it happen at random times?

Has this computer always been this way? How often does it happen? Once a week...twice a month...what? Do you keep your system running all the time (not that there's anything wrong with that, so do I) and does it happen after it's been running straight without rebooting for x amount of time (days, a week, et cetera)?

Does it happen after the system has already been running for a little while and you've already started and stopped some programs (email, et cetera), or does it happen at random times?

This is my brand new, less then 3 week old Vista system. It has only done both of those about 3 times each, and each seem random, one time computer was running for awhile and the other it was not.

a 780i mcp temp of 70 is ok m8 and no i doubt that would cause the issues your having, no doubt you need the latest video and chipset drivers installing to get round it, and the latest bios wont go amis.

use everest ultimate edition to monitor all your temps.

So I just installed it, says my GPU is 70, that is the same as the MCP?

GPU is graphics processing unit (video card) not the chipset of your motherboard.

That is what I thought, so I guess Everest does not show MCP?

nVidia GPU's are happy up over 100C :)

ATI 2900's never seem to get below 100C :p

You really don't need to worry about the MCP temp. CPU and GPU are the ones you need to keep cool. As long as the case ambient is < 30C the MCP will take care of itself.

My EVGA 680i came with a small fan attachment though that I have attached and blowing.

I know, i was saying the MB of 47 is not the MCP, since in the BIOS the MCP is 70. I was not saying 47 was bad.

Sorta off topic but related.

I just overclocked my system, changing the FSB, making it 3.0GHz, or more like 3.0001. Anyways, when I right click on my computer it says...

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz 3.00Ghz and it's normally

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz 2.4Ghz

Does that mean only one core is 3.0Ghz? or whats the deal?

Sorta off topic but related.

I just overclocked my system, changing the FSB, making it 3.0GHz, or more like 3.0001. Anyways, when I right click on my computer it says...

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz 3.00Ghz and it's normally

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz 2.4Ghz

Does that mean only one core is 3.0Ghz? or whats the deal?

No, "Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz" is what your processor is called, but 3GHz is what it's running at. After all, you have four cores anyway. Windows doesn't report the separate speeds of all the cores in that window.

:)

That is good, seems to be stable, at least doing normal tasks, it only gets to 60 at the most. Though I have not run a game yet, but I do plan on getting better cooling for it anyways so it should be fine.

I just did a stress test of the CPU and such with Everest and it seems to be stable, it was for 20 Minutes, take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. :D I've never had a system I could overclock by that much (yet), but I'm always on a real tight budget.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back