What exactly is NetBIOS?

w00kiec00kie

OSNN Addict
Yeah.. so I have figured out that if I block NetBIOS stuff in symantec, I'm unable to use the windows networking. But I also know that I removed taht protocol from the network connections thing, and that I have disabled NetBIOS Over TCP/IP service...
So why does enableing NetBIOS stuff (NetBIOS name, NetBIOS inbound / outbound) make my network work?
(Oh yeah, I also had to enable the windows file sharing thing, but that I sorta understand..)

Can someone explain what NetBIOS is without overloading my brains?

:confused:

Network Basic Input Output System, it is how your network talks to each other. You should enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, that is one common troubleshooting step in networking.

w00kiec00kie said:
Can someone explain what NetBIOS is without overloading my brains?

Asking someone to explain a Microsoft designed network protocol without overloading anyone's brain is asking too much :)

j79zlr said:
Network Basic Input Output System, it is how your network talks to each other. You should enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, that is one common troubleshooting step in networking.
Yes, but as I learned the other day only for troubleshooting. As having it enabled is a security risk.

Maveric169 said:
Yes, but as I learned the other day only for troubleshooting. As having it enabled is a security risk.

Having a computer connected to the internet is a security risk..

Having a computer connected to any network is a security risk..

Having a computer in your home is a security risk because someone might want to break into your home and steal your computer..

Bottom line: don't have a computer.

In all seriousness, if you want to work and connect in a Microsoft world, you'll probably need NetBIOS enabled. It is technically possible to setup your network without any need for NetBIOS, but MS makes it a bit harder.
Heck, technically, if you run Exchange 2003 in your AD forest, it requires WINS (Thanks Microsoft! So much for getting rid of all that legacy crap!)

If you want to minimize the security implications when connected to the Internet, get a router/firewall device at your Access Point and block NetBIOS from there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back