What exactly is NetBIOS?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by w00kiec00kie, Oct 11, 2004.

1. w00kiec00kie

w00kiec00kie OSNN Addict

Yeah.. so I have figured out that if I block NetBIOS stuff in symantec, I'm unable to use the windows networking. But I also know that I removed taht protocol from the network connections thing, and that I have disabled NetBIOS Over TCP/IP service...
    So why does enableing NetBIOS stuff (NetBIOS name, NetBIOS inbound / outbound) make my network work?
    (Oh yeah, I also had to enable the windows file sharing thing, but that I sorta understand..)

Can someone explain what NetBIOS is without overloading my brains?

:confused:

2. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

It stands for Network Basic Input Output System and more about it here.

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Network Basic Input Output System, it is how your network talks to each other. You should enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, that is one common troubleshooting step in networking.

4. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Asking someone to explain a Microsoft designed network protocol without overloading anyone's brain is asking too much :)

5. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Yes, but as I learned the other day only for troubleshooting. As having it enabled is a security risk.

6. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Having a computer connected to the internet is a security risk..

Having a computer connected to any network is a security risk..

Having a computer in your home is a security risk because someone might want to break into your home and steal your computer..

Bottom line: don't have a computer.

In all seriousness, if you want to work and connect in a Microsoft world, you'll probably need NetBIOS enabled. It is technically possible to setup your network without any need for NetBIOS, but MS makes it a bit harder.
    Heck, technically, if you run Exchange 2003 in your AD forest, it requires WINS (Thanks Microsoft! So much for getting rid of all that legacy crap!)

If you want to minimize the security implications when connected to the Internet, get a router/firewall device at your Access Point and block NetBIOS from there.