What does "i" mean?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by jumbojim, Oct 22, 2002.

1. jumbojim

jumbojim Guest

Everywhere I go, there seems to be iWhatever. What does the i stand for?

eg. iMAC, iPAQ, iNET, iSecurity...

even my local computer store is sporting computer pakages with names starting with i. It get's really irritating, especially not knowing what it means

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Internet? Inline? Incomplete? Indestructible? :)

i'm pretty sure iMAC is internet, but the others may be different, or i could be wrong entirely

3. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Idotic? Immortal? Irregular? Irresponsible? Irritable? Indisgetable? Immaculate? Interesting? Indian? Inept?

4. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Intelligence, Information, Incarceration, Incubation, Ignorance, Irresistible, Important, Impotent, Irish cream, Indiana Jones, Iggy pop, India....

5. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Yup, tis :)
    I don't really think the I stands for anything in the majority of things, its probably something that companise think will make they're product seem more attractive.

6. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

iThink that iN the context of M$ the 'i' must stand for iEther iNcompetent, iNcomprehensible, iNeffective or iRritating!

Mub's

Aren't iNtel going to call their next chipset iTanium (der der da dum!) or somthing?

7. most probably something to do with Internet

8. theone1

theone1 Guest

ive always thought it meant 'intelligent'

9. maybe asking the company itself will provide better answers?

10. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

" maybe asking the company itself will provide better answers? "

That might work, if they actually reply. I know Apple replies, I sent them a question once for a school project, and they send me like 50 pages worth of information, very detailed, from God knows where, but it was what I needed :)

On the other hand, I'v contacted Dell about their history before, and they never replied.