What do you think about the G5 ?

Nantucket, now that's funny. I just delivered a motor yatch to Nantucket last week and when the boss flew in the first words out of his mouth were " could you look at my laptop it won't boot up" he handed it to me and guess what it? It was a Mac!

from everything that i hear about from friends that work in the arts industry, macs are more widly used, but not nessecarrily better than PCs. now that the PC side of things is fastly developing, both software wise and hardware wise, apple's claim as "best" is slowly falling. but then again that could be local opinion in philly.

as for mac having the "worlds fastest desktop PC, and 1st 64bit processor for home use." i seem to remember reading an artical somewhere that they cheated on the benchmarks. oh well, time will tell.
as Sazar said

/end rant

Originally posted by Jz1397-4
macs are more widly used, but not nessecarrily better than PCs. now that the PC side of things is fastly developing, both software wise and hardware wise, apple's claim as "best" is slowly falling.
true. put together a $3000 pc and it can keep up with a $4000 apple, even in their video or audio editing applications.

as for mac having the "worlds fastest desktop PC, and 1st 64bit processor for home use." i seem to remember reading an artical somewhere that they cheated on the benchmarks.
semi-true. i know the adobe benchmarks are totally biased as all adobe software is originally made for macs and then basically ported to pc's. of course it's going to be faster on a mac.

if they ran stuff on an intel setup v/s a mac setup in direct comparison... it would be no contest

this is from the apple website itself..

Professional applications tested by Apple in June 2003 using preproduction Power Mac G5 units and, with the exception of HMMer, application software optimized for the PowerPC G5.

and this excerpt from VeriTest... the site that tested the hardware...

The SPEC CPU2000 benchmark suite is provided as source code for the tester to compile, the compiled code is then used to measure the performance of a system. To be able to directly compare the performance of the hardware systems, the same compiler - GCC, with similar settings were used on both platforms.

obviously if the same compiler had been one that intel systems run day to day processes under... apple would be screwed royally.. :)

the fact is... apple deliberately setup a comparison.. and veritest for whatever reason decided to go along with using a compiler that shows the g5 in a way that it APPEARS superior to intel's processors while @ the same time proving there is something fishy going on...

and then we have apple claiming left right and center

[start sarcasm] we are the fastest in the world.. so what if we are the only one's who say that and need optimized software and competitors hardware crippled with such and such compiler... WE ARE THE FASTEST AND MOST POWERFUL... buy our stuff... it is all proprietary so we will charge you a few thousand more when you want to upgrade... but rest assured since its a mac... you will never have problems... um... while the computer is off [/end sarcasm]

:)

I have no appreciation for companies that routinely.. especially in the present... engage in bogus PR that ends up mis-informing the consumer base @ large in order to generate sales...

anyone fancy joining me in a class action law-suit v/s apple ?

if its free, i'll take it and give it to my girlfriend so she can do her 3d Fashion Design on it.

you guys are like computer hippies. "its all about free love, and non-proprietary hardware!"

who cares, if you need it, get it, if you dont.. blah. Marketing is marketing. Go drink FANTA cola and tell me if you get 4 girls singing and dressed in short skirts and short tank tops.

Originally posted by dubstar
Go drink FANTA cola and tell me if you get 4 girls singing and dressed in short skirts and short tank tops.
tried. :( didn't work.

Originally posted by dubstar
if its free, i'll take it and give it to my girlfriend so she can do her 3d Fashion Design on it.

you guys are like computer hippies. "its all about free love, and non-proprietary hardware!"

who cares, if you need it, get it, if you dont.. blah. Marketing is marketing. Go drink FANTA cola and tell me if you get 4 girls singing and dressed in short skirts and short tank tops.

this is something we like dealing with and discussing...

marketing is marketing.. yes... and as consumers we should know what is bogus and what is factual... :) 3-8g's on a rig that's performance is fubar compared to the specs == money down the drain...

btw... fanta cola + triple sec/vodka/sugar/gin == plently of girls n hula hoops :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back