What distro are ya using and why?

Geffy said:
FreeBSD all the way for my OpenSource Operating Systems. I doubt I will ever touch a Linux distro again by choice. I originally started out with Mandrake, then moved to RedHat. I had always been told that FreeBSD was very hard to use. One day X-Istence convinced me to give it a try. I have never looked back. As a server OS I personally dont think it can be beaten. As a desktop OS again it is extremely stable and quite easy to use. The only let down, and the only reason why I no longer have FreeBSD as my desktop OS (I run windows on it again) is that I havent found a single Nix Window manager that looks nice. Gnome, KDE, blackbox, fluxbox. I have tried just about all of them and they are all horrid. KDE is more featured than Gnome, it looks prettier as well, Gnome is imo ugly as sin. KDE while being an improvement isnt much of one. *box didnt really do it for me either, just couldnt get used to them. I think Nix Window managers need to come a lot further before they can be considered for mainstream desktop or laptop use. Windows and Mac OS X are fantastic Window managers, polished, attractive, featured. Until the open source window managers get more designers (I hate to say it, but its true) involved than just the code geeks they will always be behind imo.

Interesting, I love Gnome, I can't really think of anything it doesn't have. I really can't stand Windows anymore, I think its GUI is horrid.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back