What AV/Firewall do I need with a router?

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
Now I've got a router for my Broadband access what firewall programmes and anti-virus programmes do I need to run on my machines while connected to the net?

The fact you have a router does no affect your requirements for a AV. So stick with whatever you have now, if you dont have one get one, consult the AV Poll for more information.

In terms of firewalling the PCs on the LAN you may want to continue to run a simple firewall on the workstations to allow you to control applications internet access.

A broadband (NAT based) router will stop unsolicited incoming traffic but thats it. Anything is allowed out which is why you may want to keep control of what applications can communicate with the internet.

My Opinion as far as AV's go is you don't need any. As far as firewalls are concerned you don't need one of those either unless you don't want any information getting. Which case you could do like me and use the free version of Zone Alarm.

I use Kerio with my Linksys router, NAT blocks some incoming traffic and Kerio blocks the rest. All ports from 1-1056 are stealthed and my box doesnt respond to ICMP's or Ping attempts.

Tiesto said:
I use Kerio with my Linksys router, NAT blocks some incoming traffic and Kerio blocks the rest. All ports from 1-1056 are stealthed and my box doesnt respond to ICMP's or Ping attempts.

what about 113 ??? Go to www.grc.com, do the shield up and check ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back