What ARE the updates??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Dory, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Dory

Dory Was LadySunshine

Can someone tell me the purpose of the "security updates"? And why they are sooo critical?? They don't give any explanation but when I go into my add/remove programs theres like a ton of them in there! Whats the reason!

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

You can go to your add/remove programs applet in control panel to identify the specific hotfix number(s) and then use this list at microsoft to read up on it. Might want to put on a pot of coffee.

3. Dory

Dory Was LadySunshine

LMAO! I will never understand why the heck Microsoft has to have all these updates.... I stopped bothering to download them a long long time ago. I don't see it helping my computer and there are like 15 already in here! :rolleyes:

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Well, a lot of them are security related. You have a whole sub-culture out there that seems to have nothing better to do then find weaknesses that they can exploit for whatever reason. The hotfixes are microsoft's 20/20 hindsight. ;) It's a good idea to keep up on them, or get adept at reinstalling your operating system and programs regularly. The hotfixes also address a lot of other issues that just didn't come up on the base test machines when it was being developed. Understandable. There a millions (literally) of variables... it would be impossible to take them all into account during development. I need some more coffee. :D

5. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

Well , in IE case , Microsoft does what can to protect you from "outsiders" - > but consider them useful cause really are .

6. thingy

thingy Guest

LadySunshine

Are you getting your Updates automatically?

If you turn off the Auto and go via the Windows Updates on the Start Menu - then you can READ the info on each one and select which you want to install