Western Digital Caviar or Maxtor DiamondMax

S

silky62678

Which drive is better per performance and speed?

Western Digital Caviar WD1200BB 120GB ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive ***(Free 2nd Day)***

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y120P0 120GB Ultra ATA/133 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer ***(Free 2nd Day)***

Both are around the same price

I can't say anything about the performance of the maxtor, but I have that western digital drive, and it's extremely fast, quite, and extremely reliable. I love it. Just thought I'd give my two cents.

The Maxtor will give better performance due to the 8mb buffer.

Saying that, WD also do 'special edition' versions that also have this.

Yeah this is a WD special with 8mb buffer
I think the Maxtor would be better cause it has ATA 133 transfer and the WD has ATA100, but still want to get other opions

find out how loud each one is also (xDB). The specs should tell you access times
like 9ms or whatever too.
If your motherboard supports ATA133 I would get that drive.
They've all got some size buffer. You might have to look closely at
the specs to find it.
BTW are you looking at Googlegear?

I saw a lot of posts a few months back from people who had their over 100 gig WD drives die early and sudden deaths.

Go for the maxtor.

Originally posted by Sparsely
find out how loud each one is also (xDB). The specs should tell you access times
like 9ms or whatever too.
If your motherboard supports ATA133 I would get that drive.
They've all got some size buffer. You might have to look closely at
the specs to find it.
BTW are you looking at Googlegear?
Yes that is the infamous "Googlegear". The maxtor say it has "quiet technology", but the WD has tools that will keep it from dying.

My 80GB WD with an 8MB cache just died on me! It must be the new design, so I'll be a little forgiving while the bugs get worked out Yes, I have two other hard drives and they give a three year warranty, but I'd rather not be without it for six weeks.

Go the WD all the way. I work at a computer store, and we have dropped Maxtor, we have had more than half of the Maxtors we sold in the last two months go bad, we're replacing them with WDs.

THe WD is also known as one of the fastest drive out right now.... go for it.

The ATA100 vs. ATA133 is a moot arguement. The truth is they barely saturate the ATA100 standard. ATA133 is just a PR campaign to sell more drives. In reality the WD is the faster drive.

According to the websites:

WD seek time is 8.9 ms
Maxtor seek time is 9.3 ms

the WD is much faster....

Originally posted by silky62678
Yeah this is a WD special with 8mb buffer
Really? Isn't that called WD1200JB and not BB? Not that it matters as long as it's the right one. :)

I have the same disk and I just got it back from it's second replacement.:mad:
Go for the Maxtor I say.

Does anyone know if the WD as quiet as the Maxtor ?
Maxtor is stating to be the quietest.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back