Weird referrer stats

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Zedric, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I run an Apache web server (hosting the folding sigs among other things) and I've been getting some weird referrers in the logs lately.

Many of the referrers are normal, like http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php and so on, but some of them show up as XXXX:++++++++. The number of + varies from just a few to about 30 or so.

Anybody know what this is? When I searched for it I noticed (apart from all the pr0n sites) that I wasn't the only one getting these in the logs.

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I'd imagine it to be blocked referrer's via some crappy internet "security" application so many people use these days.

If anyone can offer a more precise reason though, I'd be interested as I suffer from them too :)

3. Zedric

That does sound logical. Though I find it hard to see referrers as a security issue, except in anti-leech scripts.

4. SPeedY_B

I don't know, it's idiotic paranoia and it really annoys me. This one really pisses me off though:
    link purposely destroyed

Blocking the field is fine, but please don't fill my logs with your crap, let alone pointless plugs for your worthless product. Gimps.

I'm guessing that the varying amount of "+"s in those referrer's would be indicative of the original URI length.

5. Zedric

I agree. There's enough crap as is is floating around out there. If it's blocked, fine, just tell me so. Don't crappify my logs! :angry:

6. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

i also had some referers from XXXXXXXX:++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    dam pains. it's only a referer :eek:

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I'm just shooting in the dark but perhaps someone trying to exicute some kind of buffer overflow?

8. SPeedY_B

Nope. I have some of those in my logs too, fills about 3 terminal screens worth of "\90" or something equal to that, then there's people searching for that damned front-page extension .dll file, idiots. :)

Moved my HTTPd onto a different port the other day, haven't had any rubbish in my logs for a while. yay.